Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #21
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Great story, Jack. I am going to post it on my Facebook account, blog, Twitter and text it to everyone I know! j/k

It made me think a lot about the amount of time I spend online compared with the amount of time I used to spend reading. I think I am going to do like the author and have a technology sabbath!

Thanks for sharing.
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
It made me think a lot about the amount of time I spend online compared with the amount of time I used to spend reading. I think I am going to do like the author and have a technology sabbath!

Thanks for sharing.
I'll have you know that I grabbed a book I've been reading and went out to the hammock to read--after making it through most of a chapter, I came in--too many mosquito bites!!!

I enjoy access to the internet, but agree there has to be time without it to reconnect. Being deaf, my partner internet technology is a huge boon and a connection to information for him, but I remember staying in a cabin in the woods in Virginia with no TV, phone signal, or internet and it was WONDERFUL. Even he commented about being happy to be free of his constant connection. We need to plan more times like that.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #23
Official Plant Nerd

Nice article on disconnecting. I have my e-mail, WG, and google to screw around searching and that's about it other than a list of blogs I check every coupla weeks and about half of my list I pulled from signatures I picked up here. That's enough surfing for me. I like to go go go and read when I can't be running around like a chicken with my head cut off. The internet for me is late night when everything's done or on weekends when I've got laundry going and I'm running errands or when it's raining or there's a blizzard outside. I'm not a tv watcher and I don't have a blog or any facebook listing and didn't see any reason to have one so I pulled the plug on the kids having profiles at those sites when it seemed like some of their friends were auditioning for the Jerry Springer show trying to outdo each other with the world as their audience. I didn't want any of our kids taking part in the excess and recklessness under their real names so some employer running a background check on them 10 years from now could pitch their resume. I was afraid for our kids when I saw young and old alike dragging each other into bizarre competions to "reveal" more then egging each other to "reveal" even more. We did "stupid" stuff when we were kids only the "stupid" stuff we did wasn't cached into eternity.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #24
Salamander

This year I have a cell phone for the first time in 10 years. Just a simple one my daughter got on her plan...and this phone is difficult for me to deal with it. Strangely enough I did not miss the cell phones, except for occasional car problems when on the road. Maybe I'm a dinosaur at my age, but I can't imagine texting. And the phone...already I received a nasty pic this summer...from some stranger. Icky. I'd much rather have had one of the old-style cell phones without any of that. But I get senior discounts...what can I say?
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

My personal cell phone has thousands of roll over minutes.... I'd miss it even though I don't use that one that much. I don't text. I receive texts but.... I never send them. I'd like an older style cell too.... one that was bigger with bigger numbers. These gadgets are getting smaller and smaller and pretty soon they'll be so small nobody will be able to use them... not even the kids with perfect vision.

Tags
inch worm, inchworm, insect, insects, lined, moth, moths, panopoda, photo, red, red-lined panopoda