Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Not sure it is "better", but it sure has its place. It is better in many situations, I guess, like you described...but, my 81 year old mother wouldn't appreciate it and not hearing my voice. ~smile~
Hahaha, perhaps I shouldn't have used such a strong word.

Maybe "extremely preferable"?

:P
Sylvatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

TDDs are history as far as I'm concerned. They had their place for me but no more with the new phones. My mobile takes photos too. I have no clue how to do it but it does it. My Dad's in the same age bracket as your Mom and no way would he even try to text. He has a mobile phone that takes photos too since we bought it for him and pay the bill but he only turns it on in the morning. Better than nothing but it would be nice if he'd try to figure out how to take photos since he doesn't have a regular camera. He comes across some interesting critters he describes to me and he's always asking me what kind of a plant something is by describing it. His descriptions suck.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvatica View Post
Hahaha, perhaps I shouldn't have used such a strong word.

Maybe "extremely preferable"?

:P
LOL. I should have just said: Yes, it is better in many situations.

Truce?
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #14

Equilibrium,

I hope your dad learns to use the camera on his phone, but I'm sure you are not holding your breath.

"His descriptions suck." LOL! For some reason that really struck me!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #15
WG Contest Coordinator

I have started to use the camera on my phone more often. I always have it with me but I am so used to the SLR that the limitations of the camera on the phone are a bit annoying to me. The picture of the red-lined panopoda was taken with my phone (once I convinced him to get onto my hand instead). I actually know the guy that has the patent on the camera feature of phones. Needless to say he has a bit of money in the bank.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineckbone View Post
I have started to use the camera on my phone more often. I always have it with me but I am so used to the SLR that the limitations of the camera on the phone are a bit annoying to me. The picture of the red-lined panopoda was taken with my phone (once I convinced him to get onto my hand instead). I actually know the guy that has the patent on the camera feature of phones. Needless to say he has a bit of money in the bank.
Many times I'll use the camera in my phone if I have nothing else--sometimes it is not even a bad shot.

Somehow, I'm picturing your little "not quite an inch worm" as a spokesperson like the Geico gekko now.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #17
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

I enjoy texting and use it a lot. Besides sharing quick messages with John, my sisters and I exchange texts throughout the day. If my sister's baby does something new, she sends me a photo! If I see a cool bird or have a butterfly emerge, I send out a text to all three sisters, John and a few other friends telling them all at the same time. Once I was out watching an amazing sunset. I sent a brief text to a bunch of folks to get off their behinds and get outside. It was greatly appreciated by several who otherwise would have missed it!

Also, its a great way to let someone know how you feel about them. It definitely brightens my day to get a sweet message from my honey when I am having a tough day at school.

On the other hand, I do appreciate a phone call and a real voice when I want to discuss something important or to catch up.

Just my 2 cents...
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #18
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
LOL. I should have just said: Yes, it is better in many situations.

Truce?
Whoa, I just saw this.

Truce.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I have a middle school daughter, and texting is definitely "in" with that group. When she first got her phone, her friends would sit and text each other across the room, which just seemed very silly to me.

Texting is useful in situations where it is noisy, where a conversation would be disruptive, where you want to leave directions or other info they can look back on, or a message that they don't have to call voice mail to retrieve. It is very NON-useful when you text someone to come and pick you up and delude yourself that they got the text even when they didn't answer back, something I haven't persuaded my daughter. They actually had to pass a law against texting while driving in NC, a no-brainer that is hard for me to believe that anyone would do.

It is clear that texting is here to stay. The current generation is growing up thinking it is the normal way to communicate, and that cellphones with texting, cameras and google are a normal part of every day life. They do beat searching for phonebooths and quarters (or dimes?)

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
Great Horned Owl

Of course, there's always this perspective on the issue:

Author Disconnects From Communication Devices to Reconnect With Life | PBS NewsHour | Aug. 16, 2010 | PBS

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inch worm, inchworm, insect, insects, lined, moth, moths, panopoda, photo, red, red-lined panopoda