Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Salamander

Default Croton Caterpillars

Some weeds had come up in what was left of a load of topsoil back of my yard. Yesterday I was back there and noticed tattered and rolled leaves on some plants. I know the plant is a croton, but don't know what kind. I suspect they could be Goatweed Leafwing cats, which I haven't had here before.
Attached Thumbnails
Croton Caterpillars-goatweed-leafwing-q.jpg  
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Co-Administrator

Interesting find; and an interesting butterfly:
Quote:
The goatweed butterfly is an attractive, fascinating and widespread species that is not often observed by the general public because of its cryptic coloration and somewhat spotty distribution within its range. Both larvae and adults are cryptically colored. Adults play dead when handled. This species provides dramatic examples of adaptive coloration and behavior to escape predators in both the larval and adult stages.
EENY-055/IN212: Goatweed Butterfly, Goatweed Emperor, Goatweed Leafwing Anaea andria Scudder (Insecta: Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae: Charaxinae)

I can see where it would be difficult to determine which species of croton it is, Texas has 25 different species of this plant!
PLANTS Profile for Croton (croton) | USDA PLANTS

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

WOW! Cool critter!
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Salamander

Yes, I guess as big as Texas is, it would have a lot of different kinds of crotons. Inside my yard I have Croton fruticulosus. Several years ago I first got one of those and caterpillars appeared on it...later on ID'd as the Tropical Leafwing. But then since then, nothing on my two plants. This other kind of croton must have come in as seeds in my topsoil, because it doesn't grow in this area. I might raise a couple of these caterpillars inside so I can watch them more closely.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I found the cats in your photo album.... waaaaaaaaaay cool!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Salamander

Well, they really are way cool cats and butterflies! I've got about 16 chrysallises of Two-tailed Tiger Swallowtail and hope they will all emerge okay later.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Salamander

What I believe are Goatweed Leafwings...one cat pupating and the chrysallis formed.
Attached Thumbnails
Croton Caterpillars-goatweed-leafwing-cat-pupating.jpg   Croton Caterpillars-goatweed-leafwing-chrysallis.jpg  
Old 07-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
Well, they really are way cool cats and butterflies! I've got about 16 chrysallises of Two-tailed Tiger Swallowtail and hope they will all emerge okay later.
How are those two-tailed tigers? Did they emerge yet?

I have one spicebush swallowtail chrysalis, one black swallowtail chrysalis, two monarch pupa and a whole lot of cats doing their 'walk-about'! I saw a pupa dance this morning from start to finish! I never tire of watching a caterpillar transform into a chrysalis!

I have found a lot of eggs so far this year. Most have been viable and I have all stages right now. I brought a microscope home from my classroom so that I can check the eggs to make sure they are viable. My eyes seem to be getting worse as I near the half century mark!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
Old 07-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
Salamander

No, none have emerged yet. When I've had spring cats of that species before, the butterflies emerged about late August and September, if I'm not mistaken. These normally only breed and lay eggs in the very late winter or spring and again in fall. However...I found a small cat on a Hop Tree recently and I'm raising it. Since I haven't seen the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail on Hop Tree locally, it could also possibly be the two-tailed. Just have to wait and see...those two kinds of cats look alike until a late instar. Aren't butterflies and caterpillars infinitely fascinating? This is a very big year for them here...really, I've never seen a year like this one before!
Attached Thumbnails
Croton Caterpillars-ttst-cat-3a.jpg  
Old 07-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
No, none have emerged yet. When I've had spring cats of that species before, the butterflies emerged about late August and September, if I'm not mistaken. These normally only breed and lay eggs in the very late winter or spring and again in fall. However...I found a small cat on a Hop Tree recently and I'm raising it. Since I haven't seen the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail on Hop Tree locally, it could also possibly be the two-tailed. Just have to wait and see...those two kinds of cats look alike until a late instar. Aren't butterflies and caterpillars infinitely fascinating? This is a very big year for them here...really, I've never seen a year like this one before!
Wow, long time in a chrysalis, huh? I am wondering how long it'll be before my spicebush swallowtail butterfly emerges? I was thinking it would be about two weeks like the monarch, but I'm thinking now that is probably not the case!

I just found 10 monarch eggs as I walked the dog. John says I am obsessed in a big way! I too find caterpillars and butterflies quite fascinating! What amazes me is that there are so many different kinds and so many different host plants!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/

Tags
butterfly, caterpillars, croton, croton caterpillars, croton fruticulosus, crotons, goatweed, goatweed butterfly, leafwing