Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #61
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. (I'm a real help aren't I?) Cool butterfly!

I've never seen so many spicebush swallowtails and eastern tigers until this year. They are everywhere. I counted two dozen or so at once yesterday morning while I was sitting on my deck with a cup of coffee. Here's a spicebush swallowtail on some tattered end-of-bloom Raspberry Wine monarda.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-swallowtail.jpg   What's Flying Around-swallowtail-2.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #62
Official Plant Nerd

First photo's beeUteeful!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #63

Thanks! My camera is a first generation cheap Kodak digital point-and-click that I've had forever. What frustrates me is that it is so hot and humid out I have to wait for the lens to clear when I go out and by then I've missed a good shot.

I saw this Pearl Crescent on a rudbeckia and I thought they matched color with the golds and blacks. I also saw my first Monarch of the season and a Variegated Frittilary but couldn't manage a close enough pic. I'll keep watching.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-pearl-crescent-2.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #64
Official Plant Nerd

linrose> you should really post some of those over in the contest, July 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - Post Entries Here.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #65
A Bee's Best Friend

so how do you get those creatures to land on a color coordinating bloom?

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #66
A Bee's Best Friend

Common Blue on Joe-pye and a skipper.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-july-12th-2010lg-079.jpg   What's Flying Around-july-12th-2010lg-080.jpg   What's Flying Around-july-12th-2010lg-016.jpg  

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #67
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
...What frustrates me is that it is so hot and humid out I have to wait for the lens to clear when I go out and by then I've missed a good shot...
I hear you! That happened to me a couple of times in the past few days. One day I ran inside to get the video camera to film about 5 swallows swooping this way and that catching bugs. I missed the shot because of the condensation on the lens. =(

...but it was great to see them. I couldn't be sure if they were the family of tree swallows raised in one of the nest boxes or barn swallows visiting my yard. I was leaning toward the tree swallow family until seeing a but of buff/orange on the underside of one--unless that was just the color of the sun beam hitting it as the sun was very low in the sky.

Anyway, I missed the shot, but enjoyed the moment.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #68

Gloria - those pearl crescents just love the rudbeckias! I sometimes see them on the echinaceas but they have a distinct preference for the former. Maybe they just like the color. Love the blue on the joe-pye - they are color coordinated too!

The swallowtails really prefer the phlox which is blooming right now but will visit lots of other plants too like the monarda. It's interesting to see which natives the butterflies like best. How about a new thread on the topic? What are your observations? Anyone?

equil - I like to take pics of my gardens, never thought about if they were any good. If I get a clear picture without a blurry lens or out of focus subject I'm happy. I really want a good digital SLR for Christmas this year but I'm not sure it's in the budget. My husband and I just started a business this spring and I have a daughter going to college in a year and we need a new vehicle, yadayadayada. I just like to make a record of what is around me regardless of the photo quality. It keeps me grounded and sane.

dapjwy - I love reading your comments! So many things you talk about remind me of me! Swallows are graceful, beautiful birds. They are hard to catch on the wing, even with a video camera. And think about it, there are so many more moments that we enjoy than we actually capture on film. Those we have to express in words rather than images. Perhaps it is a bit harder depending on your power of communication. You've described your experience perfectly. Capturing the moment fully, without anything between us and the lens, that's pretty special.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post

dapjwy - I love reading your comments! So many things you talk about remind me of me! Swallows are graceful, beautiful birds. They are hard to catch on the wing, even with a video camera. And think about it, there are so many more moments that we enjoy than we actually capture on film. Those we have to express in words rather than images. Perhaps it is a bit harder depending on your power of communication. You've described your experience perfectly. Capturing the moment fully, without anything between us and the lens, that's pretty special.

linrose,

Thank you for your very kind words.

Part of our wonderful experiences on this forum are sharing things that we enjoy while knowing others here can relate and appreciate them.

Resorting to words is fine and just having the experience and memory are valuable...I do sometimes get caught up in wanting pictures and videos to support what I'm saying. I guess I'm a visual person and find that I rarely post things on my blog without some visual to go along with it.

Thank you for making me feel even more connected here.

~smile~

dapjwy
Old 07-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #70

linrose,

I thought of you today. I spotted a fuzzy white caterpillar on my serviceberry. After grabbing my cell phone and trying to get a half-decent shot, I took a few steps and spotted another one on the sensitive fern. As I was trying to frame the shot, he went from one frond to another. There was this somewhat comical drop and bounce when he transferred his weight. That is when I thought of you. It would have made a great video shot, but makes a fine memory just the same.

A little later, he did what seemed like a more intentional drop. He seemed to spin a little thread and did this Spiderman-like drop and swing to a lower point. Then he crawled down into the grass.

After doing an image search I think I've identified him as Hickory Tussock Caterpillar Lophocampa caryae. It makes sense that they use hickory, elm, and walnut as hosts...all of which I have. Someone correct me if I'm wrong--suunto?
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-fuzzy-white-two.jpg   What's Flying Around-fuzzy-white.jpg  

Tags
bee, bees, buckeye, butterflies, butterfly, common blue, danaus, eastern tiger, flying, flying insects, insect, insects, monarch, moth, moths, pearl crescent, pholisora catullus, photo, photos, plexippus, sootywing, spicebush swallowtail, swallowtail, variegated frittilary, wood nymph