Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #41
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Released this female black swallowtail on Thursday after it eclosed. I found it as a caterpillar in June as it was munching on some parsley that was about to seed. I found another egg and caterpillar on the parsley today along with a bunch more monarch eggs and cats on milkweeds! How exciting!
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-2074.jpg  

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #42
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Jack,
Nice photos! I am pretty sure this is an Eastern Swallowtail, not a Spicebush. A Spicebush has a single row of yellowish white spots. Eastern has a double row. I am not authority, but I am pretty sure... I have a very hard time telling the two of them apart when they are flitting around the yard.
Well, I trust that you're right. I've never seen a Spicebush Swallowtail. I may have been filling in missing blanks when trying to id it with a slant toward finding it to be the Spicebush. Ah well. It was beautiful anyway.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #43
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I should spend more time out in my yard---especially late in the day; aside from what is pictured, I saw a glimpse of what I think was a Baltimore oriole flying toward my blueberry bushes. It made an about face when it spotted me and disappeared behind the barn.

I was taking pictures of flowers and spotted some movement in the shadows: the butterfly in the first three pics. Then I spotted several bees and another buttefly.

IDs are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-1-butterfly-3.jpg   What's Flying Around-1-buttefly-2.jpg   What's Flying Around-1-butterfly.jpg   What's Flying Around-1-july-flowers-141.jpg  
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #44

Here are the others I spotted this evening.

I think the ant on the jewelweed ruined my shot of the bumblebee (the blur in the lower left). I was getting ready to snap the shot when the bumblebee seemed to immediately abandon the idea of entering the flower when seeing the ant inside...but, I included the photo anyway...because it is the only thing "flying around" that was actually in flight in my pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-1-july-flowers-090.jpg   What's Flying Around-1-july-flowers-124.jpg   What's Flying Around-1-july-flowers-141.jpg   What's Flying Around-1-july-flowers-238.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #45
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

What's Flying Around-p1050563-1.jpg I don't know what this is, do you? Taken at Letchworth, Castile, NY

What's Flying Around-p1050688.jpg Monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus)
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #46
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Nice photos swamp thing! I wish I could get a pic of zebra swallowtails. I haven't seen any since that day. They must have been passing through. I should just grab a chair and sit with my camera next to the coneflowers until something interesting comes along. Usually I'm just out wandering when I come across a great photo op. Unfortunately I rarely have my camera with me. Yesterday I saw a pair of goldfinches in my garden feasting on some Echinacea paradoxa seeds while perched on top of them. THAT would have been a cool pic! By the time I went inside to get the camera, they were gone.

I gotta learn to never leave the house without my camera!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Nice photos swamp thing! I wish I could get a pic of zebra swallowtails. I haven't seen any since that day. They must have been passing through. I should just grab a chair and sit with my camera next to the coneflowers until something interesting comes along. Usually I'm just out wandering when I come across a great photo op. Unfortunately I rarely have my camera with me. Yesterday I saw a pair of goldfinches in my garden feasting on some Echinacea paradoxa seeds while perched on top of them. THAT would have been a cool pic! By the time I went inside to get the camera, they were gone.

I gotta learn to never leave the house without my camera!
I'm with you, linrose, all too often, I'm out without a camera--or can't get to my cellphone fast enough to snap a picture. Oh well, at least we are seeing things worth photographing!

The goldfinches would've made a great picture...at least we can all picture them from your description.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #48
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I'm just thrilled that something I planted is actually attracting, and feeding, wildlife. I get really excited about it. That's great incentive for planting more natives!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #49
Salamander

Me too about not having the camera handy when I really, really want a pic of something great. The other day, used to only seeing the usual summer birds, along comes a pretty one I hadn't ever seen before. So, naturally, I couldn't get a photo and can't figure out what it was! And one year, actual Malachite butterflies showed up in my yard! They were absolutely awe-inspiring, one of the best experiences I've ever had! I can't even describe how lovely they were. But again, no photo, no memento to look at...drat! I may have to go down to the border sometime and find out where to look for them so I can enjoy looking at photos of them again and again!
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #50
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
Me too about not having the camera handy when I really, really want a pic of something great. The other day, used to only seeing the usual summer birds, along comes a pretty one I hadn't ever seen before. So, naturally, I couldn't get a photo and can't figure out what it was! And one year, actual Malachite butterflies showed up in my yard! They were absolutely awe-inspiring, one of the best experiences I've ever had! I can't even describe how lovely they were. But again, no photo, no memento to look at...drat! I may have to go down to the border sometime and find out where to look for them so I can enjoy looking at photos of them again and again!
You might find this butterfly park established by the North American Butterfly Association interesting:
Home Page Butterfly Park
And do remember to take your camera; we would enjoy looking at the photos too.

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bee, bees, buckeye, butterflies, butterfly, common blue, danaus, eastern tiger, flying, flying insects, insect, insects, monarch, moth, moths, pearl crescent, pholisora catullus, photo, photos, plexippus, sootywing, spicebush swallowtail, swallowtail, variegated frittilary, wood nymph