Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Man! You must have an amazing eye! Although, I can spot a first instar monarch caterpillar on a milkweed leaf as we are driving down the road at 65 mph...

LOL! Cool.

I spot and identify birds, trees, and wildflowers while going 65...but they are a bit bigger.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
A Bordered Patch butterfly on a Buttonbush and hanging on to a culvert in a strong wind. That plant must have awfully sweet nectar, since it attracts a lot of insects.
Great pictures and beautiful butterfly.

I just put in a bare root buttonbush this spring... it took *forever* to finally leaf out...and I had to water it in the drought we've had...but, it seems to be holding its own. I can't wait until it is big enough to bloom and start attracting lots of things!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrILoveTheAnts View Post
Not often seen flying around but my brother found a Citheronia regalis at work. It was half dead and probably past it's prime when he found it. Upon bringing it home I staged a few shots.

Other common names are Regal Moth, and Hickory Horned Devil (the caterpillar). Note the tiny Acorn ant, Temnothorax sp. in the picture.
What an amazing-looking moth! It almost looks like it has fur! Beautiful.

Somehow that moth reminds me of a story (although I'm sure it was a different kind of moth in my story). When I was probably about 12, I found a cocoon during early spring. I brought it inside and kept it in a jar with air holes. I must've checked it out every day...but, I can't be sure how long I had it. What I do remember was noticing that it was coming out. Quickly, I took it outside and put it on a twig of our birch tree and watched as it came out of the hole it had made.

I was expecting a beautiful butterfly; what I saw was this slim, dark insect with narrow wings that I assumed was a wasp that had gotten inside and ate the developing caterpillar. I was upset, but watched fascinated. This dark, wet insect began to unfold its wings and dry off...I realized that it was not a wasp...but it was not a butterfly either. It was a moth.

I remember looking it up in a book we had. My father always had books on trees, butterflies, reptiles, shells, etc for us to look at. I can't remember what it was, but I do remember the big, comb-like antennae.

Thanks for brining back that memory.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I don't have very good photos but here is a Tiger swallowtail, a dark female Tiger, a Spicebush swallowtail and I think a Pearl Crescent I've seen in the past day or two.
Great variety. I love the spicebush swallowtail in flight!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #35
WG Facebook Administrator

This guy looked pretty interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-littleguyonelder.jpg  
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #36
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Linrose, you're right about the zebra swallowtails moving constantly. I got bit by biting midges (no see 'ems) taking these pictures, so I didn't pursue it for very long.

These were taken a couple days ago in an area in Maryland where pawpaws grow, their larval host plant. (Asimina triloba)

I don't think it occurs to people that the butterfly bush won't support any caterpillars. My friend's yard where the pictures were taken already has some seedling butterfly bushes, but hopefully I convinced him to cut the flower heads off to prevent any more. Maryland doesn't list any invasive plants, as far as I know.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-dsc06334.jpg   What's Flying Around-dsc06331.jpg   What's Flying Around-dsc06322.jpg  
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #37
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

There's an American Lady, Vanessa virginiensis, on the left.

What's Flying Around-dsc06316.jpg

There were lots of skippers, dusky and silver-spotted and a few different grass skippers. I think this is Polites peckius.

What's Flying Around-polites-peckius.jpg
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #38
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp thing View Post
I don't think it occurs to people that the butterfly bush won't support any caterpillars. My friend's yard where the pictures were taken already has some seedling butterfly bushes, but hopefully I convinced him to cut the flower heads off to prevent any more. Maryland doesn't list any invasive plants, as far as I know.
Dead heading a butterfly bush is the first step to seeing how annoying the plants are eventually cutting them down. I used to have 4 in my yard... they were gone in a year. To many flower clusters, and pruning only lead to more flower clusters that weren't as pretty looking. By the end I think I was cutting whole limbs off of them.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #39
Great Horned Owl

This is the first Spicebush Swallowtail I've seen here. No surprise as I have about ten mature shrubs of the same name. But, I was happy to see it for the first time! Pictures three and four have the Balsam tree and young Wild Black Cherry in background.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-img_0926.jpg   What's Flying Around-img_0927.jpg   What's Flying Around-img_0930.jpg   What's Flying Around-img_0931.jpg  

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #40
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
This is the first Spicebush Swallowtail I've seen here. No surprise as I have about ten mature shrubs of the same name. But, I was happy to see it for the first time! Pictures three and four have the Balsam tree and young Wild Black Cherry in background.
Jack,
Nice photos! I am pretty sure this is an Eastern Swallowtail, not a Spicebush. A Spicebush has a single row of yellowish white spots. Eastern has a double row. I am not authority, but I am pretty sure... I have a very hard time telling the two of them apart when they are flitting around the yard.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bee, bees, buckeye, butterflies, butterfly, common blue, danaus, eastern tiger, flying, flying insects, insect, insects, monarch, moth, moths, pearl crescent, pholisora catullus, photo, photos, plexippus, sootywing, spicebush swallowtail, swallowtail, variegated frittilary, wood nymph