Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #21
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Man! You must have an amazing eye! Although, I can spot a first instar monarch caterpillar on a milkweed leaf as we are driving down the road at 65 mph...
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #22
Salamander

Hmmm...it's usually not the caterpillar that I spot, it's the way the leaf is eaten that draws my eye first.
BTW, that first pic could be an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail also. I looked it up and the books do say they use Hop Tree...although I've never seen their cats on Hop Tree and I've often seen the Two-tailed Tiger Swallowtails use that host plant.
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #23

Yeah, that is what we like to do when we're in the garden...walk around, looking for evidence. I've taught my students to do that. They will shout: Cool, someone's been eating this plant! I know most people (not on this forum) get upset if some insect is eating their plants.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
Old 07-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #24
Salamander

Default Bordered Patch

A Bordered Patch butterfly on a Buttonbush and hanging on to a culvert in a strong wind. That plant must have awfully sweet nectar, since it attracts a lot of insects.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-bordered-patch-2b.jpg   What's Flying Around-bordered-patch-2a.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #25
Salamander

Hummingbird (probably Black-chinned...pic not very good) and a Question Mark.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-black-chinned-hummingbird-3b.jpg   What's Flying Around-question-mark-2a.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #26
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Not often seen flying around but my brother found a Citheronia regalis at work. It was half dead and probably past it's prime when he found it. Upon bringing it home I staged a few shots.

Other common names are Regal Moth, and Hickory Horned Devil (the caterpillar). Note the tiny Acorn ant, Temnothorax sp. in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-regalmothandtheant.jpg   What's Flying Around-regalmothandtheant2.jpg   What's Flying Around-regalmothandthehand.jpg  
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #27
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I saw two Zebra Swallowtails yesterday. Try as I might they are so hard to get close enough to them to photograph. They never seem to stop moving. They are particularly beautiful though.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #28
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I don't have very good photos but here is a Tiger swallowtail, a dark female Tiger, a Spicebush swallowtail and I think a Pearl Crescent I've seen in the past day or two.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-tiger-swallowtail-phlox.jpg   What's Flying Around-black-swallowtail.jpg   What's Flying Around-spicebush-swallowtail-flight.jpg   What's Flying Around-pearl-crescent.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrILoveTheAnts View Post
Not often seen flying around but my brother found a Citheronia regalis at work. It was half dead and probably past it's prime when he found it. Upon bringing it home I staged a few shots.

Other common names are Regal Moth, and Hickory Horned Devil (the caterpillar). Note the tiny Acorn ant, Temnothorax sp. in the picture.
Very cool moth, Mr. Ants! A student of mine had found a hickory horned devil in her yard last fall. Her dad took pictures of it so that she could show me at school. It is quite a scary looking caterpillar and HUGE!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
A Bordered Patch butterfly on a Buttonbush and hanging on to a culvert in a strong wind. That plant must have awfully sweet nectar, since it attracts a lot of insects.
You should take a whiff of the buttonbush, it does smell extremely sweet, like honey!

Tags
bee, bees, buckeye, butterflies, butterfly, common blue, danaus, eastern tiger, flying, flying insects, insect, insects, monarch, moth, moths, pearl crescent, pholisora catullus, photo, photos, plexippus, sootywing, spicebush swallowtail, swallowtail, variegated frittilary, wood nymph