Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #201
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

New York Ironweed, Vernonia noveboracensis, native to most of the eastern US. It gets really tall, at least eight feet or so.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #202
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I'm in trouble. I bought some New York Iron weed and it was in bloom in a pot, and was about two feet tall. I didn't bother to check final heights and put it near the front of my perennial bed. I guess I better move it. The butterflies love the nectar and my yellow bear caterpillars definitely favor it and the blue mistflower over all the other plants I find them on.

Is it my imagination or do most skippers look very much alike on their ventral wings? I've tried to ID a bunch of them from photos, comparing to my field guide, and a lot of them look the same to me.

We still have monarch caterpillars here in NC, so hopefully they will not be migrating before Earl and Fiona have passed.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #203
Salamander

I have two kinds of ironweed, V. Lindheimeri and V. Baldwinii. Butterflies do like them when they're blooming. The V. Baldwinii spreads a lot underground...a tendency to keep in mind on some ironweed. The second kind only spreads by seed...I THINK. Lately, I keep seeing skippers on them. The look-alike skipper problem...I think everybody has that problem. And Texas seems to have tons of different kinds, so most of the time I don't worry about ID. Certain skippers whose caterpillars I've raised from time to time are more familiar to me when I see the adult.
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #204
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I spotted this guy flying and fluttering around--it was going so fast, I'm lucky it stopped long enough for me to get a clear shot.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-306.jpg  
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #205
Grub

Talk about weird weather...

I was out putting up my Christmas lights (nice weather...so I decided to at least get them up outside before the snow/cold hits) outside yesterday...I live near Chicago...
and I see a flutter out of the corner of my eye...
I chased it..
It was a Buckeye...
I mean...
a buckeye?
in November?
In Chicago?

I don't think I have every seen butterflies this late (except for Mourning Cloak) in the season around here...
schphgochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #206
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by schphgochi View Post
Talk about weird weather...

I was out putting up my Christmas lights (nice weather...so I decided to at least get them up outside before the snow/cold hits) outside yesterday...I live near Chicago...
and I see a flutter out of the corner of my eye...
I chased it..
It was a Buckeye...
I mean...
a buckeye?
in November?
In Chicago?

I don't think I have every seen butterflies this late (except for Mourning Cloak) in the season around here...
Cool.

I must say that I've been spoiled--I could go for an extended Fall...every year! ...Followed by a short winter.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bee, bees, buckeye, butterflies, butterfly, common blue, danaus, eastern tiger, flying, flying insects, insect, insects, monarch, moth, moths, pearl crescent, pholisora catullus, photo, photos, plexippus, sootywing, spicebush swallowtail, swallowtail, variegated frittilary, wood nymph