Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #191
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I spent some time cleaning up garden "stuff" and these white-faced meadowhawks, Sympetrum obtrusum, kept me company landing on tomato and chicken wire cages I was piling up to put away.

I think they were showing you they like to perch on them...If
I could get pictures of stationary dragonflies, I'd leave some up.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #192
Official Plant Nerd

I have lots of water so I make sure I've got lots of places for them to land that they like. They're usually all over the place posing if I've got time to sit for a spell with the camera.... which normally I don't or if I do.... I left the camera inside. Dragonflies prefer stakes and travel farther from the water while damselflies prefer arches and stick closer to the ponds. I usually have to sit real still in the water with my camera propped on a knee to get photos. I was just surprised I had dragonflies landing on my pile when I was running all over the place putting stuff here and putting stuff there. Neither dragonflies or damselflies seem to like high activity when they come to rest.... they'll usually take off. These didn't. I had time to run in the house and grab my camera and run back and they were still hanging around posing and.... I wasn't water logged getting these photos!!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #193
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I figured out that by leaving a plastic lawn chair next to the tall plants, I can stand on it to get pictures without spooking all the butterflies by dragging it over there every time I want to get a picture.

Here's a Spicebush Swallowtail, Papilio troilus.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-dsc07110.jpg   What's Flying Around-dsc07111.jpg   What's Flying Around-dsc07114.jpg   What's Flying Around-dsc07116.jpg  
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #194
WG Fundraising Coordinator

turttle - I saw a red-spotted purple on the hood of my car this morning. It was early and it didn't move so I didn't know if was too cold to move or just napping. I gently picked it up and put it in the grass before I drove away. It didn't seem to be feeding. I saw another one yesterday on the hummingbird feeder, I suppose gathering a few drops of nectar. I haven't noticed any around until recently, I think August/September is when we see the greatest numbers of them here in KY.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #195

Black Swallowtail flying around today... they hardly stop flapping their wings.

Here's a good page showing the various black butterflies that are easy to get mixed-up: Species Papilio polyxenes - Black Swallowtail - BugGuide.Net
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-dsc07169.jpg   What's Flying Around-dsc07185.jpg   What's Flying Around-dsc07183.jpg   What's Flying Around-dsc07188.jpg  
Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #196
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Here are a few of the butterflies from my garden. I am trying to create a visual log of every species that visits, and having a great time doing it. The skippers don't want to sit still but the others do okay at posing.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-southern-cloudywing.jpg   What's Flying Around-pearl-crescent-2.jpg   What's Flying Around-redspotted-purple-pokeweed-best.jpg   What's Flying Around-buckeye-lantana-2.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #197
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Nice photos, Turtle and Swampthing! I have been seeing so many butterflies lately, especially monarchs. They have been migrating all week! I don't know what this hurricane is going to do to their migration and to their numbers. I do know that large amounts of them get killed when we have these big storms at migration time. Sigh.

On a lighter note, here is a photo of some little skippers. Not sure of the ID. Too tired to check...
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-skippersmall.jpg  

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #198
Salamander

Beautiful butterfly pics.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #199

Another mystery skipper
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-dsc06958.jpg   What's Flying Around-dsc06960.jpg   What's Flying Around-dsc06962.jpg  
Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #200
Salamander

What is the flower?

Tags
bee, bees, buckeye, butterflies, butterfly, common blue, danaus, eastern tiger, flying, flying insects, insect, insects, monarch, moth, moths, pearl crescent, pholisora catullus, photo, photos, plexippus, sootywing, spicebush swallowtail, swallowtail, variegated frittilary, wood nymph