Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #121
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Here in Chicago there have been a few Monarchs in the garden lately. The common milkweed has been slow growing while every thing else is huge. Maybe too much water? It has been raining so often. We recieved about 7 inches in one night just over aweek ago. Flooded the whole yard for a few hours. The fireflies are gone and the slug population is beginning to increase just in time to feed,hopefully all those firefly larvae left behind.

If you look closely in the center of the Joe-pye (in the raingarden) you will see a Monarch.
Wow! now that is a lot of rain!

Yes, I see it...I'm going to go check out my lone Joe-pye weed now.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #122
WG Facebook Administrator

This year I've had monarchs every single day since early July. But I've still not seen a single caterpillar. I've seen holes in milkweed leaves, though, so that's indirect evidence. What else would make those? Aphids seem to cluster at the top on the seed pods.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
This year I've had monarchs every single day since early July. ...
How many milkweeds do you have? Huge patches?

How long have you had it established?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
After posting that I haven't seen any monarchs yet, I went out and saw one on my butterfly weed!
Ohmygod ohmigod omigod! I just found a small monarch cat on the milkweed! I have to charge my camera battery and then go back out to get a better shot.

Ya know what else I haven't seen in my back yard? A million dollars. ...I'm going out to check for it now!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #125
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Hope springs eternal!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #126
WG Facebook Administrator

LOL! Congrats on the cat.

Lessee... I've got a few dozen milkweeds, I'd say. I don't know if that qualifies as huge patches or not. This is their second year. What makes the adults hang around is really all the nectar plants, though, I think, not just the milkweed. The Joe-Pye weed should count as a huge patch; it occupies several hundred square feet.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Hope springs eternal!
~smile~

Nothin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
LOL! Congrats on the cat.

Lessee... I've got a few dozen milkweeds, I'd say. I don't know if that qualifies as huge patches or not. This is their second year. What makes the adults hang around is really all the nectar plants, though, I think, not just the milkweed. The Joe-Pye weed should count as a huge patch; it occupies several hundred square feet.
Thanks.

A few dozen sounds pretty big. A lot better than four...and a seedling or two.

I planted Joe-pye, but right now it is a single plant. This year I added New York iron weed and placed it nearby along with my Helenium (sneezeweed)...which I've had in a pot for years--last year I finally divided it and put it in the ground. I'm hoping to have a nice patch of a variety of flowers/nectar plants.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Ohmygod ohmigod omigod! I just found a small monarch cat on the milkweed! I have to charge my camera battery and then go back out to get a better shot.
I found two of them, after searching the plant for a couple of minutes I finally spotted one then saw a second one when I tried to get a different angle.

The first one was a little over half an inch long, I'd say. The second looked just a little bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-monarch-caterpillars-065.jpg   What's Flying Around-monarch-caterpillars-009.jpg   What's Flying Around-monarch-caterpillars-031.jpg   What's Flying Around-monarch-caterpillars-075.jpg  
Old 08-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #129
A Bee's Best Friend

Well there you go!!! Congratulations...keep an eye on them.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Well there you go!!! Congratulations...keep an eye on them.
I'm thrilled.

I have to admit that when I went back to take pictures, I couldn't find him (I overlooked both of them--but didn't even realize there were two yet). After searching for a bit, I spotted him again and, later the second one.

I have a feeling Mary (bridget1964) may tell me to bring them inside to raise them. I'm not sure how I'd go about creating an enclosure or if I'd be around enough to make sure they are fed.

Tags
bee, bees, buckeye, butterflies, butterfly, common blue, danaus, eastern tiger, flying, flying insects, insect, insects, monarch, moth, moths, pearl crescent, pholisora catullus, photo, photos, plexippus, sootywing, spicebush swallowtail, swallowtail, variegated frittilary, wood nymph