Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #101
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Out and about this morning I found these guys feasting on the mountain mint. It's magical when it blooms. I feel like I'm standing in the middle of a fairy land as dozens of butterflies flit all around me.

First is a buckeye, then some kind of skipper, a beautiful tiger swallowtail, and the last is blurry but I couldn't resist capturing five tigers on one plant.
I would have included it too--nice to see so many using it at the same time. I'm so looking forward to having more and more butterflies in my yard. So far, I'm seeing a few, and even a pair of them sometimes. The more I get planted the more I'll see, I'm sure.

The tiger swallowtail is especially beautiful.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #102

I spotted this guy the other day:

Hairstreak butterfly?
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-010.jpg   What's Flying Around-011.jpg   What's Flying Around-013.jpg  
Old 08-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #103
WG Fundraising Coordinator

dapjwy - you will see more I'm sure as time goes on and you continue your great work on your land. It's one of the most gratifying pleasures of growing natives. I never saw as many butterflies as we have here in southcentral Kentucky, or maybe I'm just noticing them more but it is wonderful.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
dapjwy - you will see more I'm sure as time goes on and you continue your great work on your land. It's one of the most gratifying pleasures of growing natives. I never saw as many butterflies as we have here in southcentral Kentucky, or maybe I'm just noticing them more but it is wonderful.
I can't wait!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I hear you! That happened to me a couple of times in the past few days. One day I ran inside to get the video camera to film about 5 swallows swooping this way and that catching bugs. I missed the shot because of the condensation on the lens. =(

...but it was great to see them. I couldn't be sure if they were the family of tree swallows raised in one of the nest boxes or barn swallows visiting my yard. I was leaning toward the tree swallow family until seeing a but of buff/orange on the underside of one--unless that was just the color of the sun beam hitting it as the sun was very low in the sky.

Anyway, I missed the shot, but enjoyed the moment.
Follow up: I thought I mentioned it here, but maybe I'm mistaken; that same day I went back out, grabbed the camcorder that I left on the sun porch to warm up, and went back to look for the swallows. I saw one fly off, but some other flitting and swooping caught my eye. There were about half dozen or so dragonflies flying around closer to the ground than the swallows. I did manage to get glimpses of them on tape, and later took the time to edit it together to try to achieve the same effect that I experienced.

YouTube - dapjwy's Channel
Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #106
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Very nice video clip, David! And of some of my favorite bugs, too!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Very nice video clip, David! And of some of my favorite bugs, too!
I thought you might like it...I know they are among your favorites.

Too bad they were darting around so quickly, I couldn't even see what color they were, let alone hope to ID them.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #108
Grub

The first one I think is a White-lined Shpinx moth. The second photo i have no idea what they are? anyone have a clue?
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-dscf1938.jpg   What's Flying Around-dscf1947.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #109
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Neato! I think they're geometer moths called Trichodezia albovittata, or White-striped Blacks

Species Detail | Butterflies and Moths of North America

Moth Photographers Group – Trichodezia****albovittata – 7430 E
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #110
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

The adult form of the Squash Borer is actually a striking wasp mimic. And what's more surprising is to learn it's actually a Lepidoptera.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-waspmimic3.jpg   What's Flying Around-waspmimic.jpg   What's Flying Around-waspmimic2.jpg  
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bee, bees, buckeye, butterflies, butterfly, common blue, danaus, eastern tiger, flying, flying insects, insect, insects, monarch, moth, moths, pearl crescent, pholisora catullus, photo, photos, plexippus, sootywing, spicebush swallowtail, swallowtail, variegated frittilary, wood nymph