Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
WG Contest Coordinator

gift A birthday gift from Mother Nature!

First a little background;
I REALLY like the spicebush swallowtail caterpillar! Mary and I have been searching for a spicebush for about 2 years and finally found one. I planted it in what I felt was the perfect area in the yarden to do well, and have been checking it every day in hope of finding a caterpillar. I have been seeing evidence of someone eating the leaves as I find with all the plants in the yarden, always makes me smile.

Now, for the birthday gift;
This morning I finally found the telltale evidence of a caterpillar, the curled over leaf. Not only did I find 1 but 2!!! I was on the phone to bridget1964 (Mary) while I was watering (we have some new plants) and she got to hear first hand my excitement and joy. I was in tears. I am still feeling that way as I write this. Mother Nature gave me the best birthday gift I could ask for (albeit a day early), one that no one else can give me.
Attached Thumbnails
A birthday gift from Mother Nature!-1st-one.jpg  
Old 06-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Salamander

I'm so happy for you! They are really cute little things! I have a few more little ones also...the first ones probably pupated. Assuming those you have survive long enough, watch them crawl around when they get larger...they move in a way that is very unique...I haven't seen any other kind of caterpillar move around quite the same way!
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
WG Contest Coordinator

I have since found 2 more 1st instars on the plant. I wonder how many more eggs that I have.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday dear new cat daddy!
Happy Birthday to you!
Fantastic photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got several spicebushes and I look and never find any cats. One of these days... one of these days.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
WG Contest Coordinator

Thank you Equilibrium!
I was sooooo happy to find them, you have no idea how happy I was, just ask Mary, I am sure that she will tell everyone!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

A proud momma and a proud poppa.... only.... usually it's the momma who knows first. Me..... I would have been running out to a store to buy fruit tree netting to deter birds from getting them that's how happy I would have been. I've really never had any yet and.... I look for them. It's sort of like my martin house.... I hope that someday.... I'll have purple martins.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineckbone View Post
First a little background;
I REALLY like the spicebush swallowtail caterpillar! Mary and I have been searching for a spicebush for about 2 years and finally found one. I planted it in what I felt was the perfect area in the yarden to do well, and have been checking it every day in hope of finding a caterpillar. I have been seeing evidence of someone eating the leaves as I find with all the plants in the yarden, always makes me smile.

Now, for the birthday gift;
This morning I finally found the telltale evidence of a caterpillar, the curled over leaf. Not only did I find 1 but 2!!! I was on the phone to bridget1964 (Mary) while I was watering (we have some new plants) and she got to hear first hand my excitement and joy. I was in tears. I am still feeling that way as I write this. Mother Nature gave me the best birthday gift I could ask for (albeit a day early), one that no one else can give me.
Wow! so cool and so small. Great picture...and great gift.

Happy b-day, one day early.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I have to check out mine--I have a 3 or 4 small spicebush that I started from divisions from my mother's house. Tomorrow I'll check them out.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
Salamander

Happy birthday also. How big is your Spicebush? I had 3 about as tall as my legs, but one plant died back to the roots during the heat and drought last summer. That third one came back, but it is just a little thing now.
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
WG Contest Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
A proud momma and a proud poppa.... only.... usually it's the momma who knows first. Me..... I would have been running out to a store to buy fruit tree netting to deter birds from getting them that's how happy I would have been. I've really never had any yet and.... I look for them. It's sort of like my martin house.... I hope that someday.... I'll have purple martins.

I am very happy about finding the cat, but I am not going to try to deny any of the other animals a meal if they are so able to find the little guys. I have this rule about not favoring one species over another. I did ensure that the swallowtail will have at least one of the cats make it to maturity though...I gave one to Mary (bridget1964) to raise in her classroom so that her kids can see just one more example of how cool nature is.

Tags
birthday, butterflies, butterfly, cat, caterpillar, caterpillar photos, caterpillars, emerge, gift, mother, nature, spice bush, spicebush, spicebush swallowtail caterpillar, swallowtail