Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
WG Contest Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Wow! so cool and so small. Great picture...and great gift.

Happy b-day, one day early.
Thank you Dapjwy!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
WG Contest Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
Happy birthday also. How big is your Spicebush? I had 3 about as tall as my legs, but one plant died back to the roots during the heat and drought last summer. That third one came back, but it is just a little thing now.
Thank you ButterflyLinda!
I planted it about a month ago and it was just around 3' tall then. It has since grown about a foot or so and spread out about as much all around. It has been quite happy where it is but it has only been in the yarden for a short time.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

"I gave one to Mary (bridget1964) to raise in her classroom so that her kids can see just one more example of how cool nature is." Call it my personal classroom then. I'd be so excited I wouldn't be able to resist tossing fruit tree netting over the bush. The birds could have next year's cats. I'm like a little kid when it comes to finding treasures like what you found. I swear I wouldn't be able to walk away without tossing something over them.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #14
WG Contest Coordinator

It isn't easy because I know the chances of him being eaten are very high. If he does make it or one of his siblings then that will be another late birthday present. The fact that he/she is there at all is the gift to me. I have a very strong belief in all species being equal. It is the basis and cornerstone of my philosophy of life and a fundamental of my faith.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #15
Heron

Boo YEAH! I like the b-day presents nature gives you. Mine was a few years ago when they released the video of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker...and declared it un-extinct...for now.

Is the spicebush a spicebush viburnum?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #16
WG Contest Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiefreak View Post
Boo YEAH! I like the b-day presents nature gives you. Mine was a few years ago when they released the video of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker...and declared it un-extinct...for now.

Is the spicebush a spicebush viburnum?

Nope, the spicebush is the native spicebush, Lindera benzoin. WE are seriously considering going back out to Steinbeiser's and grab a couple more today.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Default Update!

Well, 18 days later and that little guy is a medium sized guy now! There is little information on the web about the life cycle of a spice bush swallowtail butterfly. A monarch would have been in the chrysalis stage by now, but this guy is taking his time!

Last Thursday, June 24, it was still brown and white. On Friday, we unfolded the leaves to discover that it had shed overnight and was now a beautiful green! I can still hear the kids ooo-ing and aahhhh-ing!

Very neat caterpillar and so unusual looking! I wonder if those false eye spots are scary enough to deter a bird from a tasty meal!

I will post another update soon. I can't wait to see it change to yellow next!
Attached Thumbnails
A birthday gift from Mother Nature!-spice-bush-caterpillar.jpg  

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #18
WG Facilitator

ooo aahhhh from here too!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #19
Salamander

So happy for you! They're SO cute at that stage. I've got two that turned green also. I have a cage with screening around the plant where those are. Too many other caterpillars have disappeared.
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #20
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
So happy for you! They're SO cute at that stage. I've got two that turned green also. I have a cage with screening around the plant where those are. Too many other caterpillars have disappeared.
John and I often talk about putting cages around some of our plants to protect the caterpillars. It'll keep out a hungry blue jay, but not a creepy spidah!

The caterpillar ate a ton of food the past few days. I am thinking the growth has sped up, therefore so has the eating. It does look like it's going to shed again very soon. I need to take another photo and post here.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birthday, butterflies, butterfly, cat, caterpillar, caterpillar photos, caterpillars, emerge, gift, mother, nature, spice bush, spicebush, spicebush swallowtail caterpillar, swallowtail