Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
Salamander

I didn't think to check the map.

I wonder why there's not Aristolochia tomentosa reported native to that whole little patch of states from PA south to VA?
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #12
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
I didn't think to check the map.

I wonder why there's not Aristolochia tomentosa reported native to that whole little patch of states from PA south to VA?
A good question. Perhaps it was once more widely distributed and was wiped out by the glaciation but somehow survived in disjunct spots in the NE? I can't find anything on this on the web.

Sometimes, the USDA distribution maps are in disagreement with some other sites. For instance, click here for a somewhat different distribution map. That map kind of suggests that the regions that were the most recently glaciated are missing the plant.

John
Old 03-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

I have enough seed left over of Aristolochia serpentaria to send one decent sized pack to one person or two small packs to two people.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I have enough seed left over of Aristolochia serpentaria to send one decent sized pack to one person or two small packs to two people.
I would very much like to try growing A. serpentaria from seed, and am willing to share if someone else also wants to try. I know it will take a lot to feed caterpillars, but my plan would be to get a few plants started and see where they grow well, and gradually increasing my plantings by saving seed.

Equilibrium, what kind of growing conditons are required - shade, I think? Will it tolerate some sun?

Joy
Wild Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:56 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

I had one person get a hold of me to try some of the seed. They said the same thing you did so I split what I had left in half. I got their seed out after I came back last weekend but.... I left again and I won't be back until the 12th. You're probably peeing in your pants.... I know how I get when I see something tasty. I can get your seed out to you a couple days after I get home. You can cold moist stratify it in your frig for 8 weeks and you should still have enough time left to grow them out. This isn't a full sun plant. Dappled shade would work and I'd sow half of them directly where you want them to grow then grow out the other half in pots.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
Unicellular Fungi

Lib,

Wow! You could say that. I'm very excited to be able to try this plant.

It's probably the best timing for me - so much to do in the yard right now, and I have many wintersown plants to set out when they are ready. Thanks for the growing instructions. I'll send you my address. Happy travels.

Joy
Wild Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
Carbon

I've got Aristolochia serpentaria plants and seeds available this fall if anybody is interested, let me know.

Rod A.
bogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #18
Salamander

This is the host to a swallowtail. I would be very interested in learning how to grow them from seed. Tks for any help.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

Oh my gosh!!! I'm so glad this thread came back up!!! bogger> That is so nice of you to offer whole plants. A. serpentaria is an awesome plant... everyone should try it if it's native for them. Wild Joy> What I want to know is how you made out on germinating the seed if you started it this year!!! Inquiring minds want to know. Tell me tell me tell me do!!! DK> try winter sowing your seed. Start rooting around in recycling bins for containers with lids then hang onto your stash so you can go for it this winter. Winter sowing is easy... it's like shake n bake. You set it and you pretty much forget it until spring.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #20
Salamander

Will do.

Tags
aristolochia, aristolochia macrophylla, aristolochia serpentaria, butterfly, butterfly habitat, caterpillars, dutchman's pipe, host plant, macrophylla, native, pipevine, pipevine swallowtail, serpentaria, swallowtail, tomentosa, woolly dutchman's pipe