Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack (42) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Fox

butterfly How do Butterflies Survive the Winter?

Even with a foot of snow on the ground, and temperatures averaging in the 20's for highs and single digits for lows, they still have to be somewhere. Most everyone is familiar with the epic migration of the Monarch butterfly, but I decided to find out how some of the rest of the butterflies in my area survive the winter. I used the list of species in this thread:
http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...ly-garden.html

It turns out that each species has it’s own strategy for carrying on it's species into the next year. Each of the stages of the butterfly’s life cycle are used by various butterflies. Some will overwinter as an egg (ovum), some as a caterpillar (larva), some as a chrysalis (pupa) and some as an adult (imago). Here’s what I found for the list of butterflies:

Pipevine Swallowtail (Battus philenor) - Chrysalis
Zebra Swallowtail (Eurytides marcellus) - Chrysalis
Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes) - Chrysalis
Canadian Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio canadensis) - Chrysalis
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus) - Chrysalis
Spicebush Swallowtail (Papilio troilus) - Chrysalis
Giant Swallowtail (Papilio cresphontes) - Chrysalis

Mustard White (Pieris napi) - Chrysalis
Clouded Sulphur (Colias philodice) - Chrysalis
Orange Sulphur (Colias eurytheme) - Chrysalis

Coral Hairstreak (Satyrium titus) - Egg
Edwards’ Hairstreak (Satyrium edwardsii) - Egg
Eastern Tailed-Blue (Everes comyntas) - Caterpillar
Karner Blue (Lycaeides melissa samuelis) (rare, endangered) - Egg
Spring Azure (Celastrina ladon) - Chrysalis

Monarch (Danaus plexippus) - Migrant

Variegated Fritillary (Euptoieta claudia) - Migrant
Great Spangled Fritillary (Speyeria cybele) - Caterpillar
Aphrodite Fritillary (Speyeria aphrodite) - Caterpillar
Atlantis Fritillary (Speyeria atlantis) - Caterpillar
Silver-bordered Fritillary (Boloria selene) - Caterpillar
Meadow Fritillary (Boloria bellona) - Caterpillar

Silvery Checkerspot (Chlosyne nycteis) - Caterpillar
Harris' Checkerspot (Chlosyne harrisii) - Caterpillar
Northern Crescent (Phyciodes cocyta) - Caterpillar
Baltimore (Euphydryas phaeton) - Caterpillar
Gray Comma (Polygonia progne) - Adult Hibernation
Compton Tortoiseshell (Nymphalis vaualbum) - Adult Hibernation
Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa) - Adult Hibernation
Milbert's Tortoiseshell (Nymphalis milberti) - Adult Hibernation
American Lady (Vanessa virginiensis) - Migrant
Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) - Migrant

Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) - Migrant
Common Buckeye (Junonia coenia) - Migrant
Red-spotted Purple (Limenitis arthemis astyanax) - Caterpillar
White Admiral (Limenitis arthemis arthemis) - Caterpillar
Viceroy (Limenitis archippus) - Caterpillar

Northern Pearly Eye (Enodia anthedon) - Caterpillar
Little Wood Satyr (Megisto cymela) - Caterpillar
Common Wood-Nymph (Cercyonis pegala) - Caterpillar

Tawny-edged Skipper (Polites themistocles) - Chrysalis
Peck’s Skipper (Polites peckius) - Caterpillar

Some sources differed on the stage by which a species overwinters. This list is my best assessment of how these species overwinter in my area. Some butterflies will use a different strategy in a different geographical location. And of course the Migrants overwinter by some means in locations more southerly than mine.

It was interesting to note the types of comments that were sometimes included in the overwintering information. Interesting in that the various caterpillars and adults often had different strategies for their individual survival:
  1. Fourth-stage caterpillars hibernate in rolled leaves on the ground.
  2. Third-stage caterpillars make a shelter from a rolled leaf tip in which to spend the winter.
  3. Partially-grown caterpillars hibernate at the base of the host plant.
  4. Overwinters as a caterpillar in seed pods of food plant.
  5. Overwinters as a caterpillar in silken nests below host plants on ground.
  6. Overwinters as an adult in the shelter of hollow trees, under bark or utilize seasonal outbuildings.
  7. Hibernate as adults. For protection they use hollow logs, woodpiles and loose bark.
  8. Overwinters as a young caterpillar in a hibernaculum (rolled leaf) on host plants.
  9. Caterpillars overwinter in leafy case on host plants.
  10. Overwinters as caterpillar in leaf tip shelter.

It seems that nature’s ‘untidiness’ is very important to butterflies. Without these places of shelter their ability to survive the winter would be greatly diminished. It also provides us with a great reason to embrace untidiness. We should be cautious about being too tidy in our butterfly gardens, prairies, and other butterfly habitat.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

I read in a book once called "The Butterfly Gardener's Guide." It's a short book and easy read, and mostly doesn't contain anything you can't find online for free. One chapter though is written by someone who over winteres butterflies as though they were populations.

Basically if you have a layer of leaves on your compost pile you're doing a good job already. I didn't start seeing Eastern Comma's in the early spring until I started composting for example. Compost piles can be improved though by stuffing a wooden box with leaves and keeping it on it's side.

A waterproof spot is essential. It can be as simple as nailing a tin can on the top of a poll, but the nail needs to be sealed farther with glue or silicone. The can should be at an angle too and stuffed with leaves.

A wood piles that goes undisturbed over the winter is another good idea but not as good as it could be. In the book the person places logs in a grid like pattern with space between them. So 8 logs this way in a row, and on top of that 8 logs going the other way. This is built up to be several layers high. On top waterproof material is attached. Along the outside, vines such as Hops, Coral Honeysuckle, or Virginia Creeper, which are also host plants are allowed to grow all along it. The trouble is this attracts snakes, rodents, wasps, and so on too.

It's great that you mention Karner Blue butterflies. That group of butterflies in general is on the decline world wide. Habitat lose is the key issue. Host plant is Lupinus perennis, and they only eat the flowers or seed pods. They have two generations every year, the second of which needs to over winter inside an ant nest.

YouTube - Butterfly eggs and caterpillar survival - Life in the Undergrowth - BBC Attenborough

One that you didn't mention was the Gulf Fritillary which is every bit as pretty as the Monarch, but uses Passion Fruit as it's host plant.

Last edited by Cirsium; 07-31-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Repaired link
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

NEWisc,

I found this very informative. Thank you for sharing.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrILoveTheAnts View Post

...Basically if you have a layer of leaves on your compost pile you're doing a good job already. I didn't start seeing Eastern Comma's in the early spring until I started composting for example. Compost piles can be improved though by stuffing a wooden box with leaves and keeping it on it's side.

A waterproof spot is essential. It can be as simple as nailing a tin can on the top of a poll, but the nail needs to be sealed farther with glue or silicone. The can should be at an angle too and stuffed with leaves.

A wood piles that goes undisturbed over the winter is another good idea but not as good as it could be...
MrILoveTheAnts,

Thank you for some additional, inspiring info. I have been leaving piles of leaves in several spots trying to smother what is underneath. In addition to that I sometimes add them to my brush piles--or the wind does. After reading your reply, I hope to put some of your suggestions into practice for next year. :-)
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Butterfly eggs and caterpillar survival - Life in the Undergrowth - BBC Attenborough - YouTube
How amazing that not one but two species depend upon this type of ant for their survival.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Thanks NEWisc for this valuable information. Looks like all the spicebush cats have gone on walkabout but I still have 13 Black Swallowtail cats on the fennel. I'll be looking for chrysalids soon!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Salamander

I've always avoided overwintering caterpillars because I figured I would not be able to keep them alive. But a couple years ago I was raising my first ever viceroy cats and I did not want to let them go. I was raising them on a potted black willow using small wedding bags with built-in drawstrings. The cats built their hibernacula right in the bags. When spring came, the black willow was dead. I had no access to other known viceroy hostplants so I switched the hibernacula/bags over to an ornamental crabapple and hoped. The cats came out of hibernation, happily ate the the crabapple leaves, and pupated. A few weeks later, the butterflies eclosed. And that is how I raised my first overwintering red spotted purples.

Those of you who can tell the difference between RSP and viceroy cats are better than me. I thought they were viceroy because I saw a viceroy nectaring on my Joe Pye, which was 4' away from my black willow. I immediately took a look at the black willow and found eggs, so I then made a bad assumption about what the eggs were. Very disappointed they were not viceroys but at least I now know how to overwinter RSPs.
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
Alternate POM Judge

I did an internet search on butterfly overwintering. This thread came up. Great information especially for this time of year. The garden needs to be left alone for the butterflies to overwinter

Tags
battus philenor, buttefly winter survival, butterflies, butterflies in winter, butterfly, butterfly garden, butterfly habitat, butterfly host plants, butterfly life cycle, butterfly species, butterfly survival, caterpillar, caterpillars, chlosyne nycteis, chrysalis, enodia anthedon, fritillary, imago, larva, native plants, pupa, survive, swallowtail, winter