Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Butterflies & Moths (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/butterflies-moths/)
-   -   NOVA: The Incredible Journey of the Butterfly (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/butterflies-moths/4962-nova-incredible-journey-butterfly.html)

MrILoveTheAnts 01-25-2010 10:55 PM

NOVA: The Incredible Journey of the Butterfly

NOVA: The Incredible Journey of the Butterfly

You can watch online right now or wait for it to air tomorrow

Tuesday, January 26 at 8 pm
Follow the 2,000-mile migration of the monarchs to a sanctuary in the highlands of Mexico.

Lots of good native plant footage but it almost feels like they went well out of their way to NOT show milkweed. Of all the plants to talk about especially after really nailing it in our heads that a lot of these butterflies die every year and their home is being illegally logged you'd think they'd promote Milkweed a little more.

That said the camera work is breath taking at times.

milkweed 01-26-2010 04:58 PM

Last fall I volunteered through my local native plant society, for the the Hoosier Outdoor Experience. YOU would be surprised at how many people didn't know Monarch migrate or that they need milkweed to survive.

I've planted common milkweed, butterflyweed and swamp milkweed.
I could go on and on about milkweeds but this is about butterflies. LOL

Thanks for the update.

dapjwy 01-26-2010 08:08 PM

I just happened upon it while channel surfing--I'm watching it now! Excellent fotage.

Hedgerowe 01-26-2010 09:35 PM

For some inexplicable reason it is not on here! :weeping

dapjwy 01-26-2010 09:43 PM

aww :(

Check your local listings.

Hedgerowe 01-26-2010 09:45 PM

Maybe it will be on another night (sniff). Thanks for the sympathy, dapjwy.

MrILoveTheAnts 01-26-2010 10:18 PM

You can watch it online with the link above. But wow if you have an HD TV it's worth it.

jpdenk 01-27-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrILoveTheAnts (Post 56240)
You can watch it online with the link above. But wow if you have an HD TV it's worth it.

Annoyingly, our local PBS station, WTTW, has been running it mainly on one of their standard definition sub-channels. I missed it on their HD channel the other night.

John

milkweed 01-27-2010 10:44 PM

I saw it, very good.
I thought it was interesting that they considered the butterflies the spirits of their ancestors and that the butterflies arrived during their festival of the dead. (The Day of the Dead?) I wonder which came first?
Did the consider butterflies spirits because they showed up at that time?
Or because of the butterflies, they choose to celebrate it then?

Though it was a bit like watching a horror movie.

Gasp. Look out a spiderweb. :scared
Oh no, NOT RAIN.:jawdropping
Aurgh pesticides! :angry

I had a happy ending for now...

I didn't heard any mention of milkweeds. But the did show plenty of native plants.
I know I just restated what MRILOVETHEANTS said earlier.

MrILoveTheAnts 01-28-2010 12:29 AM

Well it really is a problem. I see more and more news articles (not often) that try to promote Biodiverse Gardens and they don't mention the host plants at all! I didn't know butterflies needed host plants until I read Doug Tallamy's "Bringing Nature Home," only a few years ago.