Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Co-Administrator

Default A PBS NOVA Presentation on Butterflies

A NOVA presentation "The Incredible Journey of the Butterflies" will air on PBS on Tuesday, January 27th.
Quote:
Orange-and-black wings fill the sky as NOVA charts one of nature's most remarkable phenomena: the epic migration of monarch butterflies across North America. NOVA's filmmakers followed monarchs on the wing throughout their extraordinary odyssey. To capture a butterfly's point of view, camera operators used a helicopter, ultralight, and hot-air balloon for aerial views along the butterflies' transcontinental route.

Shedding light on this natural wonder are some of the world's leading monarch researchers, including Lincoln Brower of Sweet Briar College, independent biologist Bill Calvert, and Orley "Chip" Taylor of the University of Kansas.

Putting the monarch phenomenon into perspective, Taylor says, "You've got a butterfly that's originating in Toronto, or it's originating in Detroit, Michigan, or it's coming down from St. Paul or maybe even Winnipeg, and it's moving south. Somehow it finds its way to Mexico. Could you do that?"
You can read the rest of the story here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/butterflies/about.html

In the "Director's Story: Chasing Butterflies" you can read about director and cinematographer Nick de Pencier's drive and motivation to make this film.
Quote:
Q: Do you have memories of watching monarchs in your backyard as a kid?

de Pencier:
Yes, exactly. As a kid, you see this butterfly just in your own backyard, and you know that it flies away, but you don't know where it goes. Making the documentary, I met lots of people who have equivalent local stories. By following the monarchs, I was able to get a panoramic view of this incredible Herculean journey and how we are all connected to it.

Q:
Did you actually take the journey of the monarchs yourself?

de Pencier:
I did. After the shooting the first year, which we did with a big crew, we realized that we didn't have the whole story. So then I went out—just me and a camera in an RV—and I drove through all the states, consecutively, right down to Mexico and camped in the mountains.
The rest of the interview:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/butterflies/director.html

I am not going to miss this one!
Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

They don't show what time it's on. That's one I'd watch too.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Thanks for posting this. I'll make sure to see it! We have a Butterfly Conservatory nearby and it's one of my favorite places.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
Co-Administrator

You can use this link to check the time for your area:
http://www.pbs.org/tvschedules/

NOVA usually airs at 7 pm in my area.
Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:15 AM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

That's nice. We can plug in our zip codes as we get a little closer to the date and pick our station and we'll have the time.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Heron

Very interesting, thanks for the link on the times. I'd like to watch that myself.

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
Carbon

Thumbs up PBS special about monarch migration to Mexico

Hi all,

The PBS special airs at 8 p.m. ET. A preview is available on the Website http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/butterflies/ and it appears the entire show will be available on the site after it airs on TV.
If anyone becomes inspired to support monarch habitat in North America, I have milkweed seeds as well as seeds and plants that supply nectar.

To learn more about the summer habitat needs for the monarch, visit www.monarchwatch.org.
I raise monarchs all summer and tag and release them in September in time for the migration.

Viva la monarca!

Reni Winter

Last edited by Fearless Weeder; 01-11-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: editing out self promotion- Please feel free to contact me at milkweedformonarchs@gmail.com. and Winterhaven Wildflowers & Na
winterhavenwildflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #8
Fox

It's tomorrow night!
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
WG Facilitator

I'll have to try to remember that one.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
WG Facilitator

It was very well done. Hubby kept saying "that's just incredible" so much I was having trouble hearing the narrator.

I'd say we both enjoyed it.

Did anyone catch what type of tree they roost on in Mexico?

Tags
butterflies, nova, pbs, presentation