Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
WG Ways and Means

Default Help Identify this Butterfy

I ran across this photo while reading on some cryto stuff.

Can anyone identify it????????

I found it to be extremely interesting, Wondering if I can attract some to my (hopeful) butterfly garden.....
Attached Thumbnails
Help Identify this Butterfy-strangebutterfy.jpg  

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
Green Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Heron

That is pretty cool. I have no idea what it is?

Are you sure that is a butterfly?

No rear wing visible?

Location?
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

It looks Heavenly.
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Haploa clymene, The Clymene Moth.

Common food plants include: Eupatorium, oaks, willows, and I believe apple can be added to that list as well.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
WG Ways and Means

Dang..

Looks like its not native to my area. I wonder ......It looks like an Eastern North America habitat and many of the same food sources which are available by the "cheddar curtain" I wonder if I imported some if they would be ...........

INVASIVE :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
WG Ways and Means

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepyeweed View Post
That is pretty cool. I have no idea what it is?

Are you sure that is a butterfly?

No rear wing visible?

Location?
Being a butterfly novice is that how you tell the difference is the back wing????????

Old 06-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #7

I believe this is a moth. The main rule is if it's out flying during the day then it's a butterfly. If it flies at night then it's a moth. Humming Bird moths are an exception or have an inaccurate common name.

There are physical traits too. Moths tend to have furry antenna, they fold their wings down. Butterflies tend to have little if any hair on their antenna and keep their wings neatly folded up. None of these are constant though. I once found a Lepidoptera that kept it's wings cocked in a V shape and had a light fuzz on it's antenna.... this was also near sundown.

As for the moth above. It might not be that species exactly. But it is a color pattern known in that genus. So another Haploa might be the species in question.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
WG Ways and Means

Ok,

So with the differences in mind what would these differences mean in terms of the insects, are moths predators and butterflies herbivores???? Stuff like that. Birds seam to all have a similar wing structure yet there are predators and herbivores. I wonder if the behavioral differences between a moth and butterfly are if any.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
Ok,

So with the differences in mind what would these differences mean in terms of the insects, are moths predators and butterflies herbivores???? Stuff like that. Birds seam to all have a similar wing structure yet there are predators and herbivores. I wonder if the behavioral differences between a moth and butterfly are if any.
No no no

There are no predatory Lepidoptera that I know of and I'd be amazed to find one out. They're all herbivores when they're in the caterpillar state, or eating some natural organic product such as wax moth caterpillars and the waxy nests to honey bees and bumblebees. From there they turn into their adult form: a diurnal Butterfly or a nocturnal Moth. IF they feed at all they go to nectar sources such flowers or fruit. The diet is really geared towards sugars for energy. Some moths don't feed at all in their adult stage; they don't have mouth parts. The ones that don't feed usually only live 2 weeks and die. Most of their life span was spent as a caterpillar which might have taken a full year to develope and had to have over wintered at one point.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
Heron

Moths have been known to prey on sweaters and clothing, if that counts. :-)
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butterfy, identify