Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Default Found a Luna Moth

Though not a butterfly I think it's just as pretty. I discovered a Luna Moth while leaving work last night. It was under the parking lot lights and I've herd this "light pollution" is contributing to the decline of our giant silk moths. Also I don't have photos of this particular species so I brought it home as carefully as I could. Took some shots and let it go. (Bare in mind I can vouch that one of it's wings was busted before hand.) To my delight it was still able to fly when I was done.

Pic 2 (tried to correct color)

Attached Thumbnails
Found a Luna Moth-lunamoth2.jpg   Found a Luna Moth-lunamoth4.jpg   Found a Luna Moth-lunamoth3.jpg   Found a Luna Moth-lunamoth.jpg  
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Carbon

This moth is beautiful. . .

I'm wondering about our North American moth populations. When I was a kid (I was born in 1956) I lived in a rural area (Maryland). Every night in the summer, when we had the indoor lights on, I would see dozens of moths against the windows, many different species. Some were huge (as big as an adult's hand), some very tiny.

By the mid-seventies, they would still come to the windows, but in greatly diminished numbers. By the mid-eighties, hardly any. Now I live in northern Minnesota, and I rarely see any at night, but I don't know what it was like 45 years ago here. Still, it seems ominous to me.
RuthHenriquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

That is my favorite moth up here in Michigan. I too as a child had the privilage of seeing them nightly. As you said they rapidly declined. I blame it on all of those bug zappers people use at night to kill the mosquitoes. They ought to out law those!

I think your luna was damaged during, or right after her journey out of her cocoon. The wing damage looks equil on both sides like it may have gotten stuck emerging or caught on something before her wings were able to dry and expand!
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Grub

How beautiful! I have never seen one in person. What are their host plants? I would say that loss of hosts has had a huge impact on moths and butterflies. I also wonder about what the gypsy moth spraying programs are doing. I know GMs are bad, but I'm sure what they are spraying isn't species specific is it?
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Gypsy Moths are bird food plane and simply. They make the forest look ugly and otherwise I believe they don't harm the tree. The trees have roots and put out new leaves once the caterpillars leave the plant. Also I have never seen a plant with Gypsy Moths where they completely ate all the leaves to the tree, and I've seen numerous times the caterpillars leave the plant once reaching adulthood. The various Oaks, Maples, and Sumac behind where I work all have 4 or 5 tents per tree and I don't see any damage or harm.

Host plants for the Luna Moth includes Sumac, Birch, Alder, Persimmon, Black and Sweet gum, Hickory, and Walnut among several others of our native trees. So no shortage of host plants there. If you have a forest in the eastern part of North America chances are you have this moth.

The real issue with moths in general is Lights. When you see moths at lights at night it's bad because they aren't mating. Instead they're sitting around or wasting all their energy flying at lights. The adult to most moths, such as the Luna Moth here, actually don't feed in the adult stage. All the eating they did was done while they were a caterpillar. So it's very important for them to complete their life cycle. I believe the Luna Moth only lives for 2 weeks (maybe 4) in it's adult stage.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I think you might be confusing tent caterpillars (genus Malacosoma) with gypsy moth larvae - gypsy moths don't make tents, and commonly defoliate entire trees. If it happens a few years in a row, the tree could easily die, maybe from someting else taking advantage of its weakened state.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Lovely moth!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
Unicellular Fungi

My favorite moth of all of them. The adult has no digestive tract and no mouth.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I found this to show the various stages of the luna.

http://butterflies.aa6g.org/Butterflies/Raised/luna.html
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
My favorite moth of all of them. The adult has no digestive tract and no mouth.
Is it your favorite because it has no mouth and can't eat up all your plants?

Tags
found, luna, moth