Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Salamander

Default Native Pipevine Aristolochia macrophylla/durior

Does anyone grow Native Pipevine for Pipevine Swallowtails?

I want to plant some but keep reading that they need a 'strong' support and grow to 30 feet!

I have a couple places in mind--on a fence by our water garden, up a cedar tree, on the fence by the trash/recycling--but I'm not sure where to plant them.

How do they cling? Do they need a rough surface?

I'd like to plant them by a stockade-type fence, but wonder if they'll be able to climb without much to grip. I can attach twine ahead of time to get them started if I know they will need it until they've established a woody base--I'm imagining they're like my native Honeysuckle.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
Heron

I just planted one (Mothers Day). So I can't tell you much, but it climbs by twining around trellis, plants etc. Similar to how morning glories climb.
Does your native honeysuckle climb? Mine just crawls and I have to weave it through the trellis.
milkweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I can't say anything about the Aristolochia macrophylla either, but there is another plant in that genus (maybe more) native to Maryland called A. serpentaria, Virginia Snakeroot. It's a much smaller plant ( two feet maybe ) and is also a larval host for Pipevine Swallowtails.

I planted one this spring, so far it seems happy. And something is eating it...
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

This is good timing. My husband wants to buy a vine. One of the vines he is interested in is the Aristolochia tomentosa. He wants it to climb up fencing and some supports. He said he checked it out and supposedly it's a great climber.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Carbon

I started some the year before last. They curl around things to climb. Mine have exceeded their trellis climbing space so I pruned the runners they send out from above the leaf nodes and at the top to see if I could get them to fill in a bit at the bottom. They don't get as much sun in this spot as they could. I think otherwise they would have taken over the place by now. :-) I just read the other night that they're more sun-loving but these seem to be doing ok. I think they grow just about anywhere really.
You'd need some type of framework, maybe even wire cleverly rigged up for them to curl the branching runners (previously mentioned) around. The woody stems also curl around things to climb. It's not impossible, just needs a little creativity. You'd have a whole wall of it then. If there are spaces between the fence poles then you could train the young stems to get them going maybe..
They're very leafy and pretty. Mine haven't bloomed yet and butterflies haven't located them either but I remain optimistic.
I'd be glad to post a photo if you'd like.

Last edited by usernamethatsme; 05-29-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: bad grammar, additional info
usernamethatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
Heron

I've been meaning to start some pipevine. I have a rear fenced yard and have saved a spot along the fence, specifically to grow pipevine. I got some free seeds from a butterfly seminar I went to, but now I have misplaced them...aarrgghh.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Rock Star

I've experienced the same as username, that they twine around things and want to reach high. If they have no other support they will twine around themselves.
I'm trying to get mine to grow over my neighbors winged Euonymus and think the suggestion of guide wires or twine attached to the tree above it would do the trick.

I'd like to see your photos usernamethatsme.
Attached Thumbnails
Native Pipevine Aristolochia macrophylla/durior-img_6644.jpg   Native Pipevine Aristolochia macrophylla/durior-img_6645.jpg   Native Pipevine Aristolochia macrophylla/durior-img_6648.jpg  
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
Carbon

When I plant morning glories by a link fence, I put/thread the new growth through the tops of the chain link so in the end, it forms a nice blig clump at the top. Does this make sense? It looks pretty cool.
usernamethatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

will=o=wisp, is your Aristolochia in full sun?
Old 05-31-2009, 06:48 AM   #10
Rock Star

No Equil, the bottom is in shade and the top is in part shade. It is trying to reach the sun though. It is between a witch hazel on my property and a large tall stand of winged euonymus on the neighbors side. There is a huge maple above all this that recently lost a huge branch so a little more light will reach the pipevine.

Do you have a photo username? I do think I can picture how you've used the string.
I'd like to string mine from the top of the fence to the maple tree branches.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aristolochia, butterfly, macrophylla or durior, native, pipevine, swallowtail