Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Butterfly Garden Plant Lists from NWF

This list from the National Wildlife Federation isn't half bad. I have some of the plants suggested for my area. I don't have the cultivars but the straight species, American Beauties Native Plants. There is a plug in search engine where we can add where we are and what kind of soil and light we have.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
WG Facilitator

I located some free native trees Friday, and River Birch was one of them. I see it's on the Butterfly Garden list. I love happy accidents.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
WG Staff

River Birch for Cajun Country may not be the best choice. Would a tree person please comment?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

If the trees were from her immediate area they'll be good for her. Betula nigra is native to LA, PLANTS Profile for Betula nigra (river birch) | USDA PLANTS Not so good for her to get one from a tree farm in Nebraska or Vermont.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Big Fat juicy WORM

The closest nursery that sells these in my area is 70 miles away and in MD and a different zone, sigh. That's the pits. I will however use the list and go to my local nursery and ask about these plants.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Try it. I think it will work for you.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
WG Facilitator

I'm fairly sure all of the saplings in this giveaway program were natives. Not sure where they were actually raised, though.

From the LDAF website:
Where does LDAF get the seeds to grow their seedlings?

LDAF gets all of our pine seeds from LDAF seed orchards. The pines seeds are genetically improved for growth, disease resistance and geographically suited for Louisiana sites. We have several hardwood seed orchards producing genetically improved seeds for all major oaks, green ash, Baldcypress, red maple, and sweet gum. We still collect wild seeds for most of our hardwood species, from a correct Louisiana geographical source. We also buy from private vendors
Old 04-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Plant them and be happy. Buy more and be happier. You need to have some Motrin Moments with the rest of the people planting trees and shrubs.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
WG Facilitator

hahaha - I'm with you - if plants make me happy, more plant should make me happier!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

I have been digging and digging and digging... then digging some more. I am digging holes for plants I haven't bought yet. More holes make me happy because I know I need to fill the holes... and that means more plants to buy to fill the holes which makes me even happier. How many saplings did you end up with> just trying to gage how happy you will be over the next month.

Tags
butterfly, garden, lists, nwf, plant