Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Silver-spotted skipper Info

After sporting an abundance of silver-spotted slippers in the yard today (and quite a few through the years), I did a web search for their host plant(s). Turns out black locust is among them--which I'm assuming accounts for my population.

The guest link I clicked on seemed pretty in depth, so I wanted to share. I have never seen their larvae...but they look kind of hard to miss!

Enjoy:

silver-spotted skipper - Epargyreus clarus (Cramer)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:46 AM   #2
Lungwort

I enjoyed the read. I posted the silver spotted skipper in the moth thread not realizing its actually a butterfly. All the black locusts in my yard explains why that one was going from sprout to sprout, hopefully the little guy found one I wasnt chopping down.
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #3

I enjoyed the read, too. That's why I wanted to share.

Glad you liked it.

Yes,I have mixed feelings about black locust, but I do like the silver-spotted skipper.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-22-2018, 01:30 AM   #4
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

They also like tall indigo Bush, Amorpha fruticosa, and Baptisia spp. I donít have black locust but routinely find their caterpillars rolled in leaves in my Amorpha and Baptisia.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
They also like tall indigo Bush, Amorpha fruticosa, and Baptisia spp. I donít have black locust but routinely find their caterpillars rolled in leaves in my Amorpha and Baptisia.
Great to know, thank you.

Among native grasses and some other natives, I seeded Baptisia into the meadow...they didn't take. I recall growing them as plugs in addition to direct seeding them. They germinated, but died out. Maybe I will have to buy potted ones and plant them out in the meadow.

I'm glad you get to see them, too.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Baptisia is slow growing. Some of mine have come from seeds of the first one, others from small plants s bought at the botanical garden. They really like a lot of sun. Mine got decimated a few years ago by genista broom caterpillars, which are related to tent caterpillars and almost destroyed.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Baptisia is slow growing. Some of mine have come from seeds of the first one, others from small plants s bought at the botanical garden. They really like a lot of sun. Mine got decimated a few years ago by genista broom caterpillars, which are related to tent caterpillars and almost destroyed.
I think I will have to purchase some if I want them.

Glad yours survived the caterpillar attack.

Tags
info, silverspotted, skipper