Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
WG Fundraising Coordinator

butterfly Butterflies 2018

Many of us got a slow start to the gardening year due to weather, let's share what kind of butterflies we are seeing with photos if available. I've seen swallowtails and red admirals, so far this year I have taken only one photo on April 30, a spicebush swallowtail.
Attached Thumbnails
Butterflies 2018-spicebush-swallowtail.jpg  
Old 05-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Found this on my Black Cherry tree. It's good to know that even with it usually swarming with ants that murder whole clutches of caterpillars that at least one made it through the winter.... no idea where the poor thing is now.
Attached Thumbnails
Butterflies 2018-caterpillar-20shed.jpg  
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
Grub

saw 2 different types of butterflies earlier this spring, they were enjoying the sap that covered a Sugar Maple stump that I cleared off the stone fence line.
weedy feilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #4

Fritillaries are flying now. This guy was sunning himself on my gardening gloves today. Also a strange moth that looked like a faded leaf hung out for a long time on a deck post.
Attached Thumbnails
Butterflies 2018-butterfly-upper-wing.jpg   Butterflies 2018-butterfly-underwing2.jpg   Butterflies 2018-moth.jpg  
Old 06-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
Lungwort

I saw a butterfly that looked just like that swallowtail a couple days ago when I was watering containers. I dont know much about butterflies, and my cell phone camera is horrible at focusing quickly, but I will try to take some pictures if I can.
The butterfly seemed to be flying around me for a while, I will have to plant some spicebush for them.
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:24 AM   #6

BTW the first butterfly is a Hackberry Emperor and the moth is a Spotted Apatelodes Moth.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #7

Saw my first Great Spangled Fritillary today, fresh and untattered. One of my favorites.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #8
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I love your cool moth photo!

I have way fewer butterflies this year. I think they got hurt by the late April freeze, and washed out with the 13inches of rain we have gotten in the past few weeks.

I agree with skip, that it is hard to get good photos with a cell phone camera, but I am not carrying my real camera nearly as much. I have seen eastern tigers, red spotted purples, summer azures and silver spotted skippers in the past few days, but only got a photo of the eastern tiger swallowtail on A. tuberosa.

Skip, there are a bunch of swallowtails that all look very similar, mimicking the toxic pipeline swallowtail. Yours may or may not be spicebush swallowtails. However, if you plant spicebush, they will come in droves, and birds like the berries, too. And, deer won’t eat it. A great plant all round!
Attached Thumbnails
Butterflies 2018-ef8e62be-c5a2-49c7-b0ad-20cfbbce6448.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

May 26th
Butterflies 2018-dsc_5927.jpg
I noticed a pretty fuzzy white moth fluttering about the camp. Upon its resting... I screwed on all three, new extension tubes onto my camera to get a feel of what they were capable of. The final shots were much closer with quite a bit more detail than my regular lens would have taken but.... I also had to hold a lot more steady to get a decent capture

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

binoculars

I would have released her outside into freedom but while putting the camera away she fluttered to who knows where.

Later in the day I found her sitting upon the floor. I went down to pick her up and I noticed......
Butterflies 2018-dsc_5921.jpg
She's laying EGGS!
Beautiful, beautiful, pearly yellow, perfectly round EGGS!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018, butterflies