Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #21
Lungwort

I went to a garden center yesterday and there were monarchs all around their display too! Mostly echinacea, rudbeckia and heliopsis. Bizarre seeing all the butterflies around a garden of containerized plants for resale in a parking lot at the edge of a busy road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Clark View Post
Don't know where you live in NJ. Don't think you are going to find any in the southern half of the state.

Toadshade Nursery in Frenchtown had poke milkweed. I don't see it on their website now but maybe a phone call might get you somewhere.
Thanks I will check them out, I am going out that way in a couple weeks anyway.
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:02 AM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Saw my first monarch of the year today. She was very active and was checking out the entire property with swooping and diving like a fighter pilot in WWII. it was great to see one, as I was beginning to fear Facing another summer without seeing one...

No camera with me, and she was moving too fast anyway.
Awesome, Jack! It is a great feeling.

Wonderful description.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:40 AM   #23
Salamander

Just dawned on me that I failed to post about a new monarch study that was published in the June 22nd edition of Science. Main point found by the research is summer population number does not jive with overwintering population number. Counts show plenty of monarchs in the summer but too many migrating ones aren't making it to Mexico. The trip south is getting tougher for reasons known and unknown.

Back when I learned about the study, a PDF of the study was downloadable from Science website. I just checked and the only thing free now is the summary. I screwed up and I'm sorry. OTOH, Science is a magazine most libraries carry so it is something you can get your hands on.

Mechanisms behind the monarch's decline | Science

http://akdavis6.wixsite.com/monarchs...n-that-matters
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #24

Thanks for posting, KC...

...sad to hear that abundant summer populations don't correlate to larger numbers at ther wintering sites.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #25
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Clark View Post
Just dawned on me that I failed to post about a new monarch study that was published in the June 22nd edition of Science. Main point found by the research is summer population number does not jive with overwintering population number. Counts show plenty of monarchs in the summer but too many migrating ones aren't making it to Mexico. The trip south is getting tougher for reasons known and unknown.

Back when I learned about the study, a PDF of the study was downloadable from Science website. I just checked and the only thing free now is the summary. I screwed up and I'm sorry. OTOH, Science is a magazine most libraries carry so it is something you can get your hands on.

Mechanisms behind the monarch's decline | Science

http://akdavis6.wixsite.com/monarchscience/single-post/2018/07/02/New-study-provides-more-evidence-that-milkweed-is-not-the-answer-to-the-monarch-decline---its-the-migration-that-matters

I would expect that. Its a long path to take to Mexico, there has to be some mortality. Sudden freezes, severe storms, getting hit on the highway, lots of potential mortality.

Question is what is a normal range of mortality?
What % is needed to replace the numbers that went north in the previous spring?
weedy feilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #26

I would think greater numbers means more chance for survival (of course, weather could reduce huge numbers over a large area, I guess).
Old 08-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #27
WG Facebook Administrator

Got some monarch cats on our milkweed for the first time ever - three in total. These are swamp milkweed just germinated this spring - and just transplanted two days ago! The eggs must have been laid by then, but I didn't notice them.
Attached Thumbnails
Monarchs-monarch-cat.jpg  
Old 08-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #28
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Lots of them here this year...Great news as last year I hadn't found a cat! Most of my milkweed are nothing but sticks!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #29
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Congrats....seems things are picking up

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #30
A Bee's Best Friend

We have been seeing more monarchs than usual in our garden this summer. Butterflies and moths in general have higher numbers per species but I think number of species is down unless I am missing some. It was very rainy early in summer but now our corridor has been very dry for over a month. Not a real drought but enough to crack soil and change insect populations. Since the liatris cylindracea/cylindrical blazing star began blooming there have been multiple sightings daily with two or three each time. Sometimes one will land near another and be chased off as another slips in to sip at the nectar. Very exciting.

First picture is of a rather battered older Monarch. Some have fresh and brand new like they just emerged and were drying wings. We have seen many cats but I seldom interfere. The garden has been a successful way station this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Monarchs-img_e1416.jpg   Monarchs-img_e1423.jpg  

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monarchs