Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
Fox

butterfly Eastern Monarch Population Numbers Drop 27%

It looks like it could be another rough year for the monarchs:
Quote:
Eastern Monarch Population Numbers Drop 27%

This year’s measurement of the eastern monarch overwintering population showed a 27% decrease compared to last year, occupying 2.91 hectares of forest in Mexico’s transvolcanic mountains during the winter of 2016-17. It is likely that an extreme and unusual winter storm contributed to this decrease. This March storm struck the overwintering colonies just as monarchs were beginning to depart on their journey north.

You can help by planting milkweed and nectar resources, joining a monarch citizen science project, educating your community and elected officials, or by contributing to conservation in other ways. Each of us has a role to play, but as the “T.E.A.M.” saying goes, together everyone achieves more.
Eastern Monarch Population Numbers Drop 27% | News | News & Events | The Monarch Joint Venture
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

~sigh~

The first year I put in butterflyweed (A. tuberoso), I had monarch caterpillars--and several years after that. For the past few years, I haven't had any young, and only one brief sighting of an adult.

It just occurred to me that I may not have checked the lone swamp milkweed plant I have.

I now have a small stand of common milkweed (volunteers)...with more planted last year (from local seed). I am hoping to have more to attract them in the coming years.

There is a field several miles from me (along a road where I walk); it is dotted with common milkweed throughout. The problem is, it is cut probably twice a year, and the timing seems highly questionable for the survival of the chrysalises.

My hope is to create a sanctuary for them, here, that won't be cut (or at least not at the wrong time if year).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I'm not seeing them as we used to in this area either. Not in my yard nor in the wild.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I'm not seeing them as we used to in this area either. Not in my yard nor in the wild.
I was going through my photos the other day...and I realized that I did see one newly excluded one while in a roadside walk.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #5
Alternate POM Judge

Fortunately I had the most monarchs ever last summer. They love tithonia. Although it is not native it is a butterfly favorite and i plant it every year. I have a large stand of common and swamp milkweed.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Salamander

We already have monarchs laying eggs on tiny milkweeds in central Ohio. With so many people screwing with monarchs these days, no way to tell whether the monarchs are very early or somebody local released some they raised or bought.

The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

George Carlin
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
Fortunately I had the most monarchs ever last summer. They love tithonia. Although it is not native it is a butterfly favorite and i plant it every year..
I liked the tithonia as well. Being a member of the aster family I can see why its such a butterfly magnet!

Old 04-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
Hippie Gardener

I saw a few more adults last year than I did in 2015, but not many. I have common milkweed, rose milkweed and butterfly weed, but I have not seen any caterpillars. Granted, I don't wade into the tall weeds to look for them - I only look around the edges, but I'm not seeing very many adults, regardless. I seem to recall seeing the adults in my yard rather late in the season, too.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #9

Would this by chance be a monarch egg?
Eastern Monarch Population Numbers Drop 27%-dscf9874.jpg
It was just a a single I had found taken last JUNE.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:40 AM   #10
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Would this by chance be a monarch egg?
That is a lacewing egg.
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
27%, drop, eastern, monarch, numbers, population