Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Butterflies & Moths (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/butterflies-moths/)
-   -   Butterflies 2016 (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/butterflies-moths/13032-butterflies-2016-a.html)

linrose 03-26-2016 12:58 PM

Butterflies 2016

New year, new sightings! Today I saw my first Eastern Tiger Swallowtail of the year, the yellow form or maybe a male it flew so fast by me.

Gloria 03-26-2016 01:26 PM

I have not seen any butterflies here in the Chicago area yet this year. We just need a few more warm days. Some of the volunteers spotted a mourning cloak last week, I think it was at Deer Grove? I have seen mourning cloaks this early in our garden before. But it is just waking up out there. We are expecting some very cold weather for the first few days of April so this seems a better spring. Not warm too fast. I'm ready to see spring unfold.

KC Clark 03-26-2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloria (Post 155605)
I have not seen any butterflies here in the Chicago area yet this year. We just need a few more warm days. Some of the volunteers spotted a mourning cloak last week, I think it was at Deer Grove? I have seen mourning cloaks this early in our garden before. But it is just waking up out there. We are expecting some very cold weather for the first few days of April so this seems a better spring.

Since mourning cloaks overwinter as butterflies, you can see one on any warm day in the winter. I use mourning cloaks to make scouts think since there are no flowers in the north in January. Every once in a while, someone comes up with sap. Have yet to have somebody say scat.

I was going to take the leaves off my nettles today but saw the forecast of cold weather early next month.

Zenturi 04-02-2016 02:45 PM

My cultivation area has a fair amount of winter deadnettle in it, which is still in flower and attracts Red Admirals. It begins flowring in late February around here. Bumblebees also feed on it so I have left it alone, even if it's considered a weed generally.

KC Clark 04-04-2016 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenturi (Post 155731)
My cultivation area has a fair amount of winter deadnettle in it, which is still in flower and attracts Red Admirals.

When I mention red admirals and nettles, it is because red admirals use nettles as a hostplant. But by nettles, I'm referencing stinging nettles (genus Urtica) and false nettles AKA Boehmeria cylindria.

The deadnettles you're talking about are in the genus Lamium. Red admirals have no use for them as a hostplant. In fact, I ran Lamium through HOSTS and it shows no lep in the USA uses it. I was really surprised when I checked Europe/Asia, where Lamium is native, and found that HOSTS showed no lep used it there either. Possibility that area uses another genus name for it. The idea behind binomial names was everybody would use the same thing but I have found the same leps in North America and South America with different genus names attached to them. :annoyed

EllenW 04-08-2016 08:22 PM

My first sighting was a mourning cloak. I saw one last spring also. The other butterfly I have seen is a Cabbage White.

will-o-wisp 04-09-2016 05:48 PM

Wow butterflies already.
I have seen the occasional bee but since we can have snow today I am jealous
of all the butterfly sightings.

katjh 04-10-2016 05:33 PM

No butterflies yet and only one or two bees. My pussy willow is covered with pollen but it's so danged cold that the bees aren't around to enjoy it.

linrose 04-22-2016 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've seen many Eastern Tiger Swallowtails flying, this one sat and posed for me. I'm also seeing many Spicebush Swallowtails and a few Spring Azures.

Gloria 09-20-2016 03:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hope this is a good place for this. At our granddaughters house they found a caterpillar which they took pictures of and sent to me asking if I knew what it was.
It was a variegated fritillary caterpillar roaming around looking for a safe place to hang a chrysalis.
Having plenty of wild violets available for food they kept the caterpillar so as to watch it become a butterfly.
They sent more pictures. Then they set it free to travel farther south for the winter.
Gotta love those kids.

What a beautiful chrysalis.