Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Grub

Default Article on Monarchs and Milkweed on front page of 12/21 New York Times

I was glad to see an article on Monarchs and the need for more milkweed for them on the front page of the December 21, New York Times. Here's a link to it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/21/us...YmrluN5ulKkB9Q
loris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Great find, loris.

I noticed in the comments section that someone included a link to WildOnes.

Thanks for sharing. It is nice to see you posting. Funny, my mind went straight to our lunch at the diner with willo-wisp and her husband. It was great meeting you and everyone else.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #3

Plight of the Monarch - YouTube <--I found this as a link in one of the comments (the creators of the video sent in the comment).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 12-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
Alternate POM Judge

I am very happy to hear about that article loris. Thanks for sharing
Old 12-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Grub

Thanks dapjwy and EllenW.

dapjwy,
I’ve been reading now and then even though I haven’t posted. Whenever I see the name of somebody who showed up in Maplewood that day it also takes me back. That day was really fun.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by loris View Post
Whenever I see the name of somebody who showed up in Maplewood that day it also takes me back. That day was really fun.
~smile~

I think that makes the visits all that much better...the good feelings continue as memories resurface while reading each other's posts.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
Grub

dapjwy,

It took me a while to get to it but I just watched the video you posted the link to.

It was really interesting. If the video is correct the wildlife gardeners in the Midwest are even more critical for the monarchs than those of us in the East.

I've never seen a monarch egg or caterpillar in my yard although we have swamp milkweed and butterfly weed. I think we're going to try common milkweed soon and see if that does better.

Thanks again for the link.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #8
Alternate POM Judge

Prairie moon is giving away free milkweed seeds with their orders. I like that.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by loris View Post
dapjwy,

It took me a while to get to it but I just watched the video you posted the link to.

It was really interesting. If the video is correct the wildlife gardeners in the Midwest are even more critical for the monarchs than those of us in the East.

I've never seen a monarch egg or caterpillar in my yard although we have swamp milkweed and butterfly weed. I think we're going to try common milkweed soon and see if that does better.

Thanks again for the link.

I think you are right, at the same time, I have to wonder if those on the East provided unbroken stretches of milkweed, if the monarchs would alter their trek. Just a thought.

Good luck with the common milkweed. I know bridget1964 is in NJ and seems to not only raise the caterpillars, but also tends to see the migration go through (not sure of how big the migration normally is, but it is noticeable).

A few years ago, I planted butteflyweed (A. tuberosa) and had a few larvae each year, until this past summer when none appeared. It was quite a disappointment. I'm hoping to see more next year--let's hope the population rebounds.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
Prairie moon is giving away free milkweed seeds with their orders. I like that.

Very cool.

Tags
12 or 21, article, front, milkweed, monarchs, page, times, york