Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
WG Staff

Morpho Butterfly 2 Drinking parties

Drinking parties
August 2001
Anita Carpenter

Drinking parties -- Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine -- August 2001
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Drinking parties. The phrase brings to mind groups of friends packed together at corner taverns watching their favorite teams on big-screen televisions, telling jokes and swapping stories.

On a gravel road the morning after a rain, sippers of a different type cluster around mud puddles and damp areas. Tens to hundreds of butterflies gather in an activity known as mud-puddling, puddling, drinking parties or bachelor parties. It is a curious behavior whose function is little understood.

About ten o'clock one early August morning along the Larsen snowmobile trail, I was a bystander watching hundreds of sulphur butterflies puddling. Once a butterfly selected a damp area, others quickly…
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
WG Staff

Default Butterfly Puddling

Butterfly Puddling
The Nature Niche
Posted on June 15, 2012

Butterfly Puddling | The Nature Niche
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Male butterflies puddle much more frequently than females. It is believed that the males require the dissolved puddle nutrients for the production of pheromones (chemicals used by the male to attract females) and for the production of sperm. The male also transfers these nutrients to the female with the sperm, enhancing the survival rate of the eggs.

Butterfly enthusiasts often create puddles to attract these beautiful insects. Take a shallow container such as a pie pan. It can be buried level with the surface of the ground or laid on top of the ground. Fill the container with
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
WG Staff

Default Puddling

Puddling
The Florida Butterfly Database

ButterflyDatabase.com
Quote:
Dozens or even hundreds of butterflies may be seen sipping moisture from ground soaked with animal urine or damp spots contaminated by dung or dead animals. But the purpose of puddling is probably not to obtain moisture. After all, dew is usually readily available and moist areas around streams are abundant in much of Florida. The places where butterflies are seen puddling are usually laden with minerals and salts that are needed by the butterflies. Members of these "drinking clubs" or "puddlingclubs" are almost exclusively males. During mating, the male loses a substantial amount of sodium and other salts in the sperm package which is transferred to the female. These minerals must be replenished before he can mate again. Common puddlers include several species of sulphurs, blues, Tiger Swallowtails, and Red-spotted Purples.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I didn't realize it was little understood. I was always told that puddling was to allow butterflies to get minerals they needed...I had no idea that males tended to puddle more than females. Interesting.

Whatever the reason, I'm hoping to attract them and witness the puddling behavior. I originally planned an area of the pond specifically for butterflies to puddle in. This year, I had one area in place, but never saw any activity. However, I think I need another area with more of a damp, mineral-rich soil as opposed to just shallow pond water with gravel for "perching".
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drinking, parties