Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

I read somewhere that it was the yeast in beer that attracted the butterflies just like it attracts slugs. I'd think any alcohol would dissipate so I wouldn't think they'd get tipsie. Wikipedia says yeast is added to bourbon when it's being made so maybe that's part of the reason for a recipe calling for bourbon, Bourbon whiskey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I dunno... maybe there's a clue to why in the article.
--
Viceroy> I did put your recipe outside. I've got the remainder in my frig. So far all I'm getting are flies and European paper wasps. I'm thinking I shoulda started this earlier in the year. Bad timing right about now because I know this recipe will work. I just spotted some bald-faced hornets checking out your concoction too so I'm sure they'll bring friends which doesn't exactly thrill me.
--
Oranges can attract butterflies too and so can mud puddles. I think the butterfly brew will be capable of attracting the best though so I'll start putting it out the 1st time I see a butterfly flit through my yard next spring. Big thanks for the recipe!!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
1st Place Winner DIY Catchall Contest

Equilibrium, glad you tried it and I'm sure you will see the results, I use it in several places in the yard, fence,stumps etc. The wasps are an unfortunate circumstance, what you can do is use a 3or 4" PVC cap, (drill 3 holes in the cap for hanging if you like) use a red plastic pot scratchy, put brew in cap and scratchy on top. Butterflies use proboscis to get brew,wasps go home cryin! Not fool proof but slows em down, Good luck.
Viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
Fox

pawprint one old con: BAIT & SWITCH

I'm just going to throw this out there for fun, how about adding your favorite bug attracting concoction to a spray bottle or whatever, so that when your in the field, you might see your elusive butterfly speeding on by as usual, but instead of frantically chasing the prey & calling 'here butter, butter, DARN ^&@#*& butterfly' you whip out your spray rig, give a few quick squirts in the air or on your nearest picturesque setting. All in hopes that the lure attracts the curious & even the speedsters (kina like a speedtrap ), perhaps yielding a nice snapshot. Hummmph now that I think about it, it might be a good way to shake a gaggle of yellow jackets off your trail...uuuummmm errr NO I'm not going to test that one.

wildwatcher
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alcohol, attract, attract butterflies, bananas, brew, brown sugar, butterflies, butterfly, feed, feed butterflies, fruit, misture, mix, molasses, mud puddles, recipe, rot, rotten, rotting, yeast