Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

That plant can take more than dappled shade. It can take full sun. Don't let it dry out in a planter. Try to buy it from a local supplier... you don't want provenance to become an issue. I think it's native to NH. Better check to be sure at the USDA site.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #12
Lungwort

Default flowers for hummingbirds

Hummingbirds love bee balm (monarda). I've also had very good luck drawing them with cardinal climber. It's a vine, very delicate with very pretty leaves. You'd need to give it something to climb on (run string from the eaves to your flower box), but since the plant doesn't get huge, it doesn't have to be anything sturdy. I just start the cardinal climber over every spring, it's easy to grow from seed. Has very pretty flowers of the trumpet shaped variety hummers like. The hummers also love trumpet creeper, a hardy native vine, but be careful where you plant that. I planted a little baby one in bad soil and not very much sun, next to one of our drain spouts, five or six years ago. Our house is now disappearing under it! It's gigantic and the suckers it clings with aren't good for the roof and gutters (yes it is now climbing over the second story roof). On the plus side the office window that I'm sitting at as I type this, is covered with it. In the season, I can sit here and watch hummers come to the trumpet creeper while I do my email...
rainbowgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

You have got to post some photos of that trumpet creeper at your house. What state are you in?
Old 03-15-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
Rock Star

I wonder how Bowmans Root (Gillenia trifoliata) would do in your window box?
Although it is not listed as a hummingbird plant on any site I found when I planted the Bowmans root near my favorite hummingbird magnate, native honeysuckle (lonicera sempervirens), much to my surprise my lone hummer frequently visited this plant!

This is a pretty airy native (northeast) filler plant with delicate white flowers on long thin red tinged stems, it even has long lasting seed heads for the winter interest. Northcreek Nursery has a nice photo of it and a link to a mass planting of it in Millenium Park. After seeing the photo of the mass planting (and it rivals the look of the non-native verbena bonariensis -except the flowers are white instead of lavender- so loved by designers to give that tall airy see through plant look) I'm going to try a mass planting in front of 2 other lonicera sempervirens.
It is a tall, 3', airy plant that likes partial shade.

The photo isn't great but this is what the open seed heads look like now in the garden. You can also see the nice red stems. Easy to grow and divide.
Attached Thumbnails
What flowers would you suggest for a porch planter?-img_5062.jpg  
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers, hummingbirds, planter, porch, suggest