Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
Salamander

So realese them on the restoration, okay I will look into that.

I garden with milkweed but most types offered by the nurshery trade are either rare in my area and they are only 1st year plants,, expect for one 3 year old poke that has had a beating already from caterpillars.

Monarchs seem to be doing well in my neck of the woods.
GonativeAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Monarchs are very early this year in all parts of the country. I am thankful for people like you, Alex, who raise them to help the population. It is nice too that it is a lot of fun to watch the whole life cycle!

My fourth graders are raising 20 caterpillars now. I've never had so many so early here in NJ! Most of mine are new 3rd instars, so they may not eclose before the last day of school.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
Salamander

I just released the first of my butterflies today, a small female we didn't have time to go to the prarire restoration so i put it on a cone flower in our front yard, she flew to a fence, and i had to water my plants when i looked for it, it was gone.. One of the other crysialises is turning black so I think it'll come out tommarow.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #14
Salamander

Default Released a ton of monarch butterflies.

Well eight or nine decided today was their day to be born... so I took them outside and gently placed them on some purple cone flowers ( still not blooming yet) It was either now or MUCH later in the day where they would be stressed in a tank. So I gave them there freedom.

Hope all goes well.

Tags
butterflies, butterfly, butterfly eggs, caterpillars, cats, eggs, milkweed, monarch eggs, monarch larva, monarchs, saved