Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Unicellular Fungi

Default Big Spider!

These are quite common around here. This one is missing a leg but the business end seems pretty ferocious, especially if you could see it moving. For scale, the glass has a 3" dia. rim.

Just a little something to find at the bottom of the stairs first thing in the morning. I took it out and released it by the opuntia at the far end of the yard.

Attached Thumbnails
Big Spider!-spider.jpg   Big Spider!-spider-rear.jpg   Big Spider!-spider-front.jpg   Big Spider!-very-aggressive-spider.jpg  
Haname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Pope

(shudder) I'm embarrassed to say it to this crowd, but I am not a fan of the spider. I leave them be, set them free, and stay clear. This creeps me out to no end. Uh, way cool though...
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Haname, great use of the smiles!

I remember finding something about that big (maybe bigger) right outside our front door when we first moved out here--at least it was *outside*...I remember thinking is this what i should expect in the country?

So, far I've never seen it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
...I'm embarrassed to say it to this crowd, but I am not a fan of the spider.

I'm not sure I'm a fan...especially of one that big...but I know they have a purpose and I respect that. Funny, as a kid, I was always fine with Daddy longleg spider...maybe it was their name--or that they had a name, or maybe it was their super thin legs that seemed less creepy.

I also, seem to enjoy the yellow and black garden spider-- Arigope? (Spelling?) ...I even found that I missed finding them in the yard this year...I finally found one the other day.

Quote:
I leave them be, set them free, and stay clear. This creeps me out to no end. Uh, way cool though...
I do the same. Let them be, or catch them and put them outside. Although I don't like the idea of them crawling on me, I did grab top of a thread of web that one was using to descend from the ceiling...and put it outside--as it was crawling back up toward my hand.

Now, had this big one been in the house, I'm not sure how I'd feel about catching it...but I'd feel worse about knowing I left it inside!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Pope

Quote:
Now, had this big one been in the house, I'm not sure how I'd feel about catching it...but I'd feel worse about knowing I left it inside!
Had one been in my house, I'd be out of it! Okay, I would probably try to find a way to herd it out of the house (think chair and whip), but I would be visibly cringing the whole way.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

spider

Yes it gave me the heebie jeebies for sure. Knowing that it was IN MY HOUSE was very disconcerting.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Pope

I can imagine! You are very brave for doing it yourself. More than once I have kept a spider trapped under a glass or something, for the day, until someone comes home to release it outside.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
(think chair and whip)
LOL! Great visual...but not sure how well it would work.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haname View Post
Yes it gave me the heebie jeebies for sure. Knowing that it was IN MY HOUSE was very disconcerting.
Quote:
You are very brave for doing it yourself.
Yes, I do give you credit for it.

...I keep waiting for someone else to chime in with a different perspective...we are on Wildlife Gardners after all.

Quote:
More than once I have kept a spider trapped under a glass or something, for the day, until someone comes home to release it outside.
Yikes! Poor thing. ...but I guess that is better than getting squashed...er, squished?
Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Pope

I know, I always feel very guilty about it but every time I go to look at it (must make sure it has not escaped!) I feel the "flight response" kicking in.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
Unicellular Fungi

Well I'm waiting for someone who can ID the thing ... My son brought me a thin blue index card and when I tried to lift it, let's just say it was clear the spider knew exactly how to escape if there should be enough of a gap. So we added a second card that gave more stability so I could lift it up securely. That thing was AGGRESSIVE and QUICK. And I didn't want a nasty bite... there's a good reason I think why we naturally react to spiders the way we do.

If I asked my husband to deal with it he would kill it so I prefer to let them live... but outside if you please!

Tags
big, spider