Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Bug Us (help identifying bugs) (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/bug-us-help-identifying-bugs/)
-   -   Big Spider! (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/bug-us-help-identifying-bugs/8716-big-spider.html)

Haname 07-15-2011 11:15 AM

Big Spider!

4 Attachment(s)
These are quite common around here. This one is missing a leg but the business end seems pretty ferocious, especially if you could see it moving. For scale, the glass has a 3" dia. rim.

Just a little something to find at the bottom of the stairs first thing in the morning. I took it out and released it by the opuntia at the far end of the yard.

:spider
:hide

Hedgerowe 07-15-2011 11:33 AM

:faint(shudder) :faint I'm embarrassed to say it to this crowd, but I am not a fan of the spider. I leave them be, set them free, and stay clear. This creeps me out to no end. Uh, way cool though...

dapjwy 07-15-2011 12:07 PM

Haname, great use of the smiles! ;)

I remember finding something about that big (maybe bigger) right outside our front door when we first moved out here--at least it was *outside*...I remember thinking is this what i should expect in the country?

So, far I've never seen it again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgerowe (Post 93909)
...I'm embarrassed to say it to this crowd, but I am not a fan of the spider.

I'm not sure I'm a fan...especially of one that big...but I know they have a purpose and I respect that. Funny, as a kid, I was always fine with Daddy longleg spider...maybe it was their name--or that they had a name, or maybe it was their super thin legs that seemed less creepy.

I also, seem to enjoy the yellow and black garden spider-- Arigope? (Spelling?) ...I even found that I missed finding them in the yard this year...I finally found one the other day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgerowe (Post 93909)
I leave them be, set them free, and stay clear. This creeps me out to no end. Uh, way cool though...

I do the same. Let them be, or catch them and put them outside. Although I don't like the idea of them crawling on me, I did grab top of a thread of web that one was using to descend from the ceiling...and put it outside--as it was crawling back up toward my hand. :)

Now, had this big one been in the house, I'm not sure how I'd feel about catching it...but I'd feel worse about knowing I left it inside!

Hedgerowe 07-15-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Now, had this big one been in the house, I'm not sure how I'd feel about catching it...but I'd feel worse about knowing I left it inside!
Had one been in my house, I'd be out of it! Okay, I would probably try to find a way to herd it out of the house (think chair and whip), but I would be visibly cringing the whole way.

Haname 07-15-2011 12:22 PM

Yes it gave me the heebie jeebies for sure. Knowing that it was IN MY HOUSE was very disconcerting.

:OMG

Hedgerowe 07-15-2011 12:37 PM

I can imagine! You are very brave for doing it yourself. More than once I have kept a spider trapped under a glass or something, for the day, until someone comes home to release it outside.

dapjwy 07-15-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgerowe (Post 93911)
(think chair and whip)

LOL! Great visual...but not sure how well it would work. :)

dapjwy 07-15-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haname (Post 93912)
Yes it gave me the heebie jeebies for sure. Knowing that it was IN MY HOUSE was very disconcerting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgerowe (Post 93913)
You are very brave for doing it yourself.

Yes, I do give you credit for it.

:unsure...I keep waiting for someone else to chime in with a different perspective...we are on Wildlife Gardners after all. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgerowe (Post 93913)
More than once I have kept a spider trapped under a glass or something, for the day, until someone comes home to release it outside.

Yikes! Poor thing. ...but I guess that is better than getting squashed...er, squished?

Hedgerowe 07-15-2011 01:31 PM

I know, I always feel very guilty about it but every time I go to look at it (must make sure it has not escaped!) I feel the "flight response" kicking in.

Haname 07-15-2011 01:43 PM

Well I'm waiting for someone who can ID the thing ... My son brought me a thin blue index card and when I tried to lift it, let's just say it was clear the spider knew exactly how to escape if there should be enough of a gap. So we added a second card that gave more stability so I could lift it up securely. That thing was AGGRESSIVE and QUICK. And I didn't want a nasty bite... there's a good reason I think why we naturally react to spiders the way we do.

If I asked my husband to deal with it he would kill it so I prefer to let them live... but outside if you please!