Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #21
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Big Spider!-carolina-wolf-spider-garage-web.jpg

I'll match yours with mine...

Mine is a Carolina Wolf Spider, but you are in the wrong state. Clearly yours is in the same family. I find one or two a year, in the garage, on the drive, on the window screens. So far, not inside the house. They are 2-3 inches across, and while I absolutely do not want one crawling on me, I can admire them and take them outside with a cup (large) and file folder (index cards are often too small).

It is funny how we plant butterfly gardens but don't garden for spiders. Kind of discriminatory, don't you think?

I think a phobia of creepy crawly things is to some extent programmed into our DNA from birth, then accentuated by seeing our mothers shriek and overreact to them. It is one of the reasons I take our snakes on school visits, to try and reduce this. Nonetheless, I drew the line on pet spiders - the idea of a pet tarantula escaping in the house gives me the creeps. Remember the movie "Home Alone"?

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #22
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Attachment 24728

I'll match yours with mine...

Mine is a Carolina Wolf Spider, but you are in the wrong state. Clearly yours is in the same family. I find one or two a year, in the garage, on the drive, on the window screens. So far, not inside the house. They are 2-3 inches across, and while I absolutely do not want one crawling on me, I can admire them and take them outside with a cup (large) and file folder (index cards are often too small).
Thankfully, this one was not quite so large. But it has been identified as a wolf spider of some sort so thank you for the confirmation.

Quote:
It is funny how we plant butterfly gardens but don't garden for spiders. Kind of discriminatory, don't you think?
yes, I do. In a way. Butterflies have to be coaxed into a garden but spiders find their way in whether we intentionally encourage them or not. I think the native opuntia seems to provide good spider habitat. but I see crab spiders too, matching the white and yellow flowers.

Quote:
I think a phobia of creepy crawly things is to some extent programmed into our DNA from birth, then accentuated by seeing our mothers shriek and overreact to them.
Yes indeed! My mom tells me stories of how I carried in a Jerusalem cricket to show her once. Since then I'm pretty creeped out by them! I wonder why?

My son at age 2 picked up a spider between his thumb and forefinger, holding it rather deftly, actually, and brought it to me, so proud of himself and of course I reacted by freaking out (only slightly but still), and telling him it goes outside. He doesn't like spiders but isn't afraid of them.

Thanks for the confirm!
Haname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #23
Fox

Spiders are cool, but I don't really want to touch them. I won't freak out if a (small) one is on me. I'll just put him aside.
I've had similar spiders to this and let them both live and stay in the house. As long as it's somewhere like a utility closet or such and my cat can't get at him, he can eat any resident bugs he likes.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #24
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Cats do like to pester and catch wolf spiders, don't they?

My husband has a wolf spider who lives under the keyboard shelf of his computer. He figures if it has been living there awhile, it must be eating things he doesn't want to have in the house. Likewise, he has set out a bunch of carnivorous plants by the windows to catch the "no see'ums" that come in through the screens when the house exhaust fan is on.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #25
Salamander

Thanks! I have spent a few years doing this habitat thing, and the lovely thing is there is always more to learn (and goofs to make) and great folks to meet!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #26
Salamander

Oops, still getting the hang of the thread process...well, glad to see there may be a consensus on the wolf spider ID.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #27
Great Horned Owl

Welcome, Scarecrow!!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #28
Salamander

spider3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Welcome, Scarecrow!!!!
Thanks, Jack! While I am at it, I just want to put in my own good word for the spiders and snakes; I have a lot of these guys, including some of the poisonous kinds, and so far we get along fine. (But watch where we step or put our hands!) They do seem to help control the bug and rodent populations. --Although of the latter, I have had to remove a couple of copperheads to the nearby national forest when they were a little too close to the house for comfort!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #29
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
Thanks! I have spent a few years doing this habitat thing, and the lovely thing is there is always more to learn (and goofs to make) and great folks to meet!
Great to hear. I love "this habitat thing".

You'll meet a lot of great folks here...and we're even likely to share some of our goofs too.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #30
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haname View Post
Sage, thank you very much. I've registered and submitted photos for ID. Much appreciated.
Welcome to W.G.!
Would you like to share a bit about about yourself with the gang here:
http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...urself-please/ Your likes, dislikes, current or past projects you've worked on. A great place to meet everyone.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big, spider