Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Nice spidey! Our ID person suunto, just left town, but there's always Bugguide.net.

Roger always puts a glass over them, slides a card under the glass, and takes them outside.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
I know, I always feel very guilty about it but every time I go to look at it (must make sure it has not escaped!) I feel the "flight response" kicking in.
LOL (both at "must make sure it has not escaped! and again at "'flight response' kicking in")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haname View Post
...That thing was AGGRESSIVE and QUICK. And I didn't want a nasty bite... there's a good reason I think why we naturally react to spiders the way we do.

If I asked my husband to deal with it he would kill it so I prefer to let them live... but outside if you please!
I'm hoping it was only aggresive because it felt threatened...I'd hate for one like that to be roaming the house with a chip on its shoulder(s).

I, too, prefer to let things live. I'm the official spider catcher in this house. (...hmm...what am I smiling about--not my favorite job.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
Unicellular Fungi

Sage, thank you very much. I've registered and submitted photos for ID. Much appreciated.
Haname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I'm hoping it was only aggresive because it felt threatened...I'd hate for one like that to be roaming the house with a chip on its shoulder(s).
Yes, I'm sure that's what it was. It was rather sedate until I trapped it. I wonder what it tangled with that caused the loss of it's leg. No wonder it was ready to fight.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haname View Post
...I wonder what it tangled with that caused the loss of it's leg. No wonder it was ready to fight.
Good point.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Roger always puts a glass over them, slides a card under the glass, and takes them outside.
...and here I am always using clear "Tupperware-like" containers. Hmm...
Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #17
Unicellular Fungi

The glass/card method is definitely the way to go. If you don't feel secure with one card, use two. A small one to slide under the spider after you trap it with a glass, and a second larger one under the first card to make it easier to lift the whole lot up.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
Salamander

Hey there, I am new to this sort of thing, haven't introduced myself yet or even gotten an avatar yet, but if I may contribute: I think this is a wolf spider. It looks a lot like the big ones in my yard that a pest control guy years ago said was an Australian species. Don't know if that is true or not, never checked it out, but these guys are bigger than the native wolf spiders I was used to seeing. Where I live there are all kinds of "foreigners"-so I wouldn't be surprised!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #19

I may change my method, but I've gotten pretty good with my way...plus I like knowing that the critter is sealed in fresh once the lid is on.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #20

Welcome, scarecrowsdrm. Please feel free to contribute anywhere you like. Lots of places to explore here...and a lot of people to meet.

Tags
big, spider