Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Lungwort

Default Larval identity???

In reviewing the numerous help threads I didn't find one specific for butterfly/ moth larvae; that said, hope this one isn't redundant. Was hoping suunto or others could help with the id of these little fellows enjoying my Aster drummondii.
Attached Thumbnails
Larval identity???-dsc_5165.jpg   Larval identity???-dsc_5168.jpg   Larval identity???-dsc_5171.jpg   Larval identity???-dsc_5175.jpg  
Asclepias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

This is a larva of a sawfly (Hymenoptera: Tenthredinidae), possibly a Macrophya sp. Sawfly larvae may be distinguised by their having fleshy 'prolegs' on the venter of abdominal segments one and two; caterpillars always lack prolegs on these abdominal segments.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Lungwort

Hummm. So much for a butterfly/ moth larva id thread, he said with egg on his face . Still might not be a bad idea??? Thanks suunto.
Asclepias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asclepias View Post
Hummm. So much for a butterfly/ moth larva id thread, he said with egg on his face . Still might not be a bad idea??? Thanks suunto.
I did the same thing when I started...as soon as I saw "sawfly" the term "prolegs" immediately popped into my head. Seems I must've learned *something* last year.

It is still a great idea. "Larval Identity" works fine--lots of different larvae out there.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #5

I spotted these on one of my quaking aspens. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Larval identity???-dsc07043.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I spotted these on one of my quaking aspens. Any ideas?
These appear to be early instar caterpillars of the Io moth, Automeris io (Lepidoptera: Saturniidae). They feed gregariously at all stages, and change color dramatically as they mature. See IO Moth Lifecycle; Automeris io for details on their life cycle.

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 07-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I did the same thing when I started...as soon as I saw "sawfly" the term "prolegs" immediately popped into my head. Seems I must've learned *something* last year.

It is still a great idea. "Larval Identity" works fine--lots of different larvae out there.
Ok, what is a "proleg?"

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Ok, what is a "proleg?"
"Prolegs" are fleshy unsegmented structures that occur on some abdominal segments of the larvae of nearly all true caterpillars, larvae of some Hymenoptera in the suborder Symphyta, and even larvae of a few species of true flies (order Diptera). These structures are used not so much for locomotion as in true legs (which only are found on thoracic segments) as in grasping the substrate (especially objects like twigs and margins of leaves) that the insect occupies. See Proleg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more details.

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
"Prolegs" are fleshy unsegmented structures that occur on some abdominal segments of the larvae of nearly all true caterpillars, larvae of some Hymenoptera in the suborder Symphyta, and even larvae of a few species of true flies (order Diptera). These structures are used not so much for locomotion as in true legs (which only are found on thoracic segments) as in grasping the substrate (especially objects like twigs and margins of leaves) that the insect occupies. See Proleg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more details.
I'm confused. In the post of yours above you stated "Sawfly larvae may be distinguised by their having fleshy 'prolegs' on the venter of abdominal segments one and two; caterpillars always lack prolegs on these abdominal segments."

But here in this post you're saying ""Prolegs" are fleshy unsegmented structures that occur on some abdominal segments of the larvae of nearly all true caterpillars,..."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #10

Thanks, suunto. As soon as I read "Io moth" I knew they were cool looking. I could picture the false eyespots. What a great addition to our evolving habitat.

Tags
bug id, bugs, caterpillar, caterpillar id, clarus, epargyreus, epargyreus clarus, identity, insect id, insects, larval, silver-spotted skipper, skipper