Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #31
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Gotta run..... Going to camp for the first time in < AGES >
It's been WAY to hot to go sit in a 98 degree and rising trailer.
The heat waves finally broke...I'm "shakin' the dust off his crummy little town and seeing the world. It's a WONDERFUL life! Name:  dancing.gif
Views: 23
Size:  4.2 KB

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #32
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Gotta run..... Going to camp for the first time in < AGES >
It's been WAY to hot to go sit in a 98 degree and rising trailer.
The heat waves finally broke...I'm "shakin' the dust off his crummy little town and seeing the world. It's a WONDERFUL life! Attachment 25622
Have fun. Glad it is cooling off for you. Enjoy.

I've gotta go to work for a couple of hours and then a chiropractor appointment. Bye.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #33
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Have fun. Glad it is cooling off for you. Enjoy.

I've gotta go to work for a couple of hours and then a chiropractor appointment. Bye.
oh oh, I sense the germination of an excuse for why the shoveling of the pond will be delayed. A chiropractor??? Is it your poor back from thinking about striving to dig a pond????

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #34
WG Fundraising Coordinator

go hava, enjoy the break in the heat wave!

"Buffalo gals can't you come out tonight and dance by the light of the moon." DH's uncle sang that with Donna Reed in 1946.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
oh oh, I sense the germination of an excuse for why the shoveling of the pond will be delayed. A chiropractor??? Is it your poor back from thinking about striving to dig a pond????
I've been digging through the pain...and will dig more after my adjustment (even if it means I need another one)...my back mostly bothers me in the middle of the night or if I sit too long...not much while working.

I see your clever wit has returned... You wanna know my favorite thing about your smilie icon? When it BURSTS and disappears!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
"Buffalo gals can't you come out tonight and dance by the light of the moon." DH's uncle sang that with Donna Reed in 1946.
Wow. Cool.

Your husband's uncle was Jimmy Stewart?!?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #37
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Yup.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Yup.
How cool.

I used to live fairly close to his hometown.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #39
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I'm confused. In the post of yours above you stated "Sawfly larvae may be distinguised by their having fleshy 'prolegs' on the venter of abdominal segments one and two; caterpillars always lack prolegs on these abdominal segments."

But here in this post you're saying ""Prolegs" are fleshy unsegmented structures that occur on some abdominal segments of the larvae of nearly all true caterpillars,..."
Jack, your confusion is from the word "some". The larva involved have multiple abdomenal segments. Suunto may know exactly how many, I do not. If you look at a caterpillar, there are a bunch of segments without any legs attached between those with the three pairs of true legs and those with the five pairs (usually, maybe always?) of prolegs, ie there is a visible gap between the two types of legs. In the sawfly larva, the prolegs start right adjacent to the true legs, the first abdomenal segment being right next to the thoracic segments where the true legs are attached.

Suunto, did I get that right?

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #40
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Jack, your confusion is from the word "some". The larva involved have multiple abdomenal segments. Suunto may know exactly how many, I do not. If you look at a caterpillar, there are a bunch of segments without any legs attached between those with the three pairs of true legs and those with the five pairs (usually, maybe always?) of prolegs, ie there is a visible gap between the two types of legs. In the sawfly larva, the prolegs start right adjacent to the true legs, the first abdomenal segment being right next to the thoracic segments where the true legs are attached.

Suunto, did I get that right?
Thanks, Turttle. There is a thread somewhere where Gloria posted pictures of each species to illustrate the difference. It was posted, however, after the post you're responding to.

BTW, I missed you!!! (I think you're a world traveler.) AND, that is so cool that Jimmy Stewart was your husband's uncle!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug id, bugs, caterpillar, caterpillar id, clarus, epargyreus, epargyreus clarus, identity, insect id, insects, larval, silver-spotted skipper, skipper