Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Is it my imagination, or do they all look almost alike? I can see the difference in antennae between the photos, but it amazing how subtle the differences are given they are in different genera. I think my best bet would be to catch a few. I probably do have more than one kind.

I saw a photo in a book today that makes me think some of the stem lesions on my sweet box (posted on pests and pathogens) might be from a ceratina spp. I am going to dissect a stem/small branch that has the lesions and see if there are larva inside. I'll keep you posted.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:33 AM   #12
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Is it my imagination, or do they all look almost alike? I can see the difference in antennae between the photos, but it amazing how subtle the differences are given they are in different genera.
It is a very common occurrence for basically unrelated species to superficially resemble one another. Just one factor to bear in mind when attempting to make identifications from images alone; I have been badly fooled myself on more than one occasion...

Henry Ward Beecher

Last edited by suunto; 10-29-2010 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Incomplete sentence
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I appreciate all your help! It makes me realize that I need to get shots of the critters from multiple angles, and that for some, even then, it may not be possible to separate them without catching them and spreading out their wings, legs, or whatever.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bee, bees, bloom, blooming, blooms, eucerini, genus, goldenrod, halictid, insect, insects, lasioglossum, long horned bee, native plants, natives, polistes, polistes carolina, pollinator, pollinator plants, pollinators, sawfly, solidago, vespids, wasp, wasps