Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Lookie what I found!!!

I was hand pulling weeds along a beach in MI and sat in the water to cool down. I pulled this glob out just for the heck of it because it was there. I saw the back dot and took a closer look and sure enough.... a critter. Here's the glob and here's a close up of the critter when I sorta wanted a better photo and moved it onto a picnic bench.
Attached Thumbnails
Lookie what I found!!!-img_2420.jpg   Lookie what I found!!!-img_2428.jpg   Lookie what I found!!!-img_2426.jpg  
Old 07-25-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Dragonfly nymph/naiad of some sort. Way cool! I am sure suunto can do a better job giving you an idea of the species. I can't identify them by the nymph stage yet--too hard!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
The Bug Whisperer

I'm at a loss here, too - I would want to examine it with at least a good magnifying glass if not a dissecting scope. Otherwise, I would not be confident of even telling which family it is.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
WG Contest Coordinator

I would be more than impressed if you could identify it! Mary and I could probably get close by process of elimination with a field guide, but certainly not by sight or by memory.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
I'm at a loss here, too - I would want to examine it with at least a good magnifying glass if not a dissecting scope. Otherwise, I would not be confident of even telling which family it is.
I was away last week and didn't have internet. When did you become 'the bug whisperer'? Great nickname for you!!

Old 07-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I was hand pulling weeds along a beach in MI and sat in the water to cool down. I pulled this glob out just for the heck of it because it was there. I saw the back dot and took a closer look and sure enough.... a critter. Here's the glob and here's a close up of the critter when I sorta wanted a better photo and moved it onto a picnic bench.
Why are you now called 'Official Veggy Killer'?

Old 07-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
I was away last week and didn't have internet. When did you become 'the bug whisperer'? Great nickname for you!!
You can credit/blame Admin for that one - In the words of Sgt Schultz, "I know nothing..."

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:26 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

That's about what happened to me too.... I think. Not exactly sure but it's funnier than H E double hockey sticks since I don't have a great track record with veggies.

Tags
found, lookie