Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Two Fer

Two for the price of one:

Today, I noticed that my tiny viburnum was being eaten alive by hordes of these tiny bugs. Are they indigenous to the Mid-Atlantic states (PA specifically). They were very active creating lace paterns in the leaves until I took an interest in them and they stopped moving--I don't think it was because they knew they were getting there pictures taken.

Later in the day, I was transplanting tree seedlings that were growing too close to the house. Among them I found this caterpillar on a wild cherry. I'd love an ID and info on it. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Two Fer-bluebirds-bugs-008.jpg   Two Fer-bluebirds-bugs-034.jpg   Two Fer-bluebirds-bugs-039.jpg   Two Fer-yard-visitors-010.jpg   Two Fer-yard-visitors-018.jpg  

dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I'm afraid they're Viburnum leaf beetles:

Viburnum Leaf Beetle (VLB) Citizen Science, Cornell University

The Viburnum Leaf Beetle in Ohio
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp thing View Post
Thanks, swamp thing. Looks like they are a European introduction--if so, I will get rid of them...I'd planned to let them be if they were native. I wonder if there will be any leaves left by the time I get out there tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

You clearly don't have enough birds there!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #5

I don't know about this species, but native birds often turn up their noses at foreign invaders, whether they'd be good food or not. Birds haven't put much of a dent in the Japanese beetle's population, but that may be changing...slowly.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
You clearly don't have enough birds there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp thing View Post
I don't know about this species, but native birds often turn up their noses at foreign invaders, whether they'd be good food or not. Birds haven't put much of a dent in the Japanese beetle's population, but that may be changing...slowly.
I'd be thrilled to have more birds...but, honestly, I'm very happy to have a few different species nesting in the yard and others that I spot foraging or just flying through. I'm thrilled...but I want MORE! --strange, why did I just flash on Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds? I barely remember that movie. [In case you all haven't noticed, my brain works in mysterious (odd) ways.]

Well, swamp thing, I'm a bit of a picky eater myself and don't often try new foods, so I can't blame them. I guess I'd better get out there and try to take care of them myself--thanks for the reminder.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #7

I put on my "bug killing gloves"--well, my gardening gloves that I thought could serve that purpose. I killed those that I could catch, I'll go back and look for more later.

Any ideas about the caterpillar?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
WG Facebook Administrator

Damn it damn it damn it! I went out & checked, and I have these things too, on my one little viburnum seedling. Lessee... I've got Japanese beetles, viburnum leaf beetles, European paper wasps... what invasive insect is next? (Probably emerald ash borer, actually, it's only a few miles away.) And these VLB's are tough to catch too, not like JB's.
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #9

Dap, I'm not sure but I thought they were Viburnum leaf beetle larvae. I don't know what they might be doing on a cherry.

This is really sad. Viburnums are such an important group of plants for our native wildlife, and beautiful too.

I don't know how far south they've gotten yet. I looked at my plants today, no sign of them.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
Damn it damn it damn it! I went out & checked, and I have these things too, on my one little viburnum seedling. Lessee... I've got Japanese beetles, viburnum leaf beetles, European paper wasps... what invasive insect is next? (Probably emerald ash borer, actually, it's only a few miles away.) And these VLB's are tough to catch too, not like JB's.
amelanchier, I'm sorry to hear that you have an infestation too. At least you are aware of it and can do something about it.

I'm starting to think that I have the European paper wasps too. I'd been leaving them alone assuming they were the native ones. After the post and the antennae thingy, I may have tons of the European kind.

I'm really hoping that we don't get the emerald ash borer. I have a few young ash trees that I was hoping would help create my woodland area. I am adding other trees among the pioneers that we have.

Anyway, I went out three times to pick off and kill those little buggers from my little guy. Then I went out to water it and then I saw the rain coming down...on a sunny day.

Tags
fer