Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Any ideas about the caterpillar?
It appears to be a larva of a sawfly in the family Tenthredinidae - see Nematus sp. photo - Tom Murray photos at pbase.com for an example (this is not the same species as what you have).

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
It appears to be a larva of a sawfly in the family Tenthredinidae - see Nematus sp. photo - Tom Murray photos at pbase.com for an example (this is not the same species as what you have).

Thanks so much, suunto! Looks right to me. I guess I shouldn't have called it a caterpillar.

I didn't mean to suggest that they were the same species...just two things I discovered the same day. I thought I'd put them both in the same post to save time.

Again, thank you.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Gag me.... viburnum leaf beetles. And for sure I would have guessed that photo was probably a 2nd instar if I'd hit this thread first with the photos of the adults. They're nasty but it could be worse... could be the EAB. I don't know what you decided to do to get rid of them but you can buy one of those $2 tarps at a place like Family Dollar then cut a slit in it to the center and put it around the base of your shrub then shake them onto the tarp then dump them in some soapy water. They'll drop off the minute you shake the shrub. Not much more you can do about them at this time of year. You're both gonna have to wait for a good frost then go for the eggs. Here's what the eggs look like, they're under the little caps you can see that look like scale, viburnum leaf beetle, Pyrrhalta viburni (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). I've got better photos somewhere if you need em but you get the idea of what to look for. You'd want to get them this winter. Prune twigs out that have the eggs and burn them then wrap some sticky tape around the bases of your shrubs. Viburnum burkwoodii is resistant to VLB if that's any help.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
WG Facebook Administrator

I'm definitely going to monitor for eggs and put that Tree Tanglefoot stuff around the base. Don't know if the tarp will work, cuz the whole area is overgrown. I don't have spaces between plants anymore.
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Gag me.... viburnum leaf beetles. And for sure I would have guessed that photo was probably a 2nd instar if I'd hit this thread first with the photos of the adults. They're nasty but it could be worse... could be the EAB. I don't know what you decided to do to get rid of them but you can buy one of those $2 tarps at a place like Family Dollar then cut a slit in it to the center and put it around the base of your shrub then shake them onto the tarp then dump them in some soapy water. They'll drop off the minute you shake the shrub. Not much more you can do about them at this time of year. You're both gonna have to wait for a good frost then go for the eggs. Here's what the eggs look like, they're under the little caps you can see that look like scale, viburnum leaf beetle, Pyrrhalta viburni (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). I've got better photos somewhere if you need em but you get the idea of what to look for. You'd want to get them this winter. Prune twigs out that have the eggs and burn them then wrap some sticky tape around the bases of your shrubs. Viburnum burkwoodii is resistant to VLB if that's any help.

Thank you for the advice and the link, Equilibrium.

So far, I've gone out and squished me--squashed them? I have gloves with a rubber lining along the palm and I just rub them to pieces. I've gone out several times in the past day or two. I do like your tarp idea. So far, the bush is TINY and so it is easy to manage them now.

I'll keep an eye out for the "egg caps".
Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
...I don't have spaces between plants anymore.

Good for you! ...I'm still in the beginning stages.

Tags
fer