Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Fox

Default Is this a Carolina Wolf Spider?

And is that an egg sac she's carrying? And are those (black arrow) spiderlets on the egg sac?
Is this a Carolina Wolf Spider?-wolf.jpgIs this a Carolina Wolf Spider?-wolff.jpgIs this a Carolina Wolf Spider?-wolfff.jpg
Old 06-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Heron

Oh, that's exactly what she is. And the baby spiders will repay her protection by eating her....

Spiders are nasty, nasty, nasty. I can't abide them.

However, now that I have health insurance....perhaps I can seek some help for my phobia, LOL!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #3
The Bug Whisperer

This is not a wolf spider (family Lycosidae), but a close cousin, a nursery web spider in the family Pisauridae; likely Pisaurina mira, a common and widespread species. They carry their egg sac in their jaws, whereas wolf spiders carry theirs attached to the end of their abdomen. These spiders take elaborate care of their young, who do NOT eat their mother in return (this does occur with some other, unrelated spiders). See http://img1.photographersdirect.com/...m/pd247728.jpg for an image of a female standing guard over her young in the 'nursery' she constructed by binding some leaves together with silk strands.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #4
Fox

Thanks, suunto. Unfortunately for this one, she was made homeless by my yard work and so had to pack up the kids and look for a more peaceful location.
Prairiefreak, I can certainly understand your phobia as spiders are not my favorite creatures. However, I've learned to abide them as long as they're not actually on me. They aren't nasty, as only humans can be nasty. All creatures are inherently innocent. I've had a few phobias of my own, though, so I realize that that has no bearing on your feelings toward spiders.
Dan
Old 06-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
WG Contest Coordinator

I have no fear of spiders, they are fascinating to me. I have a healthy respect for them, I give them their space and let them be as much as possible. I don't remove them for any reason though. We do get the occasional jumping spider in the house. I will talk to them and guide them away from danger, ie going down the drain, too close to a fan, that sort of thing. We were at dinner and sitting outside the other night and I was totally fascinated with a bunch of baby spiders crawling along web lines away from the egg casing...
Old 06-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Heron

I don't hurt spiders at all unless they're on me. If they're in my garden I mark their area off with landscaping flags so I can avoid them. It makes me feel weird in the pit of my stomach to even look at them.

But they're still nasty. Nasty, nasty, nasty. LOL!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Here's looking at you babe, http://amazingbeauty.org/nature/fig3-10d-spiderBG.jpg.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
Heron

Now, I'm not afraid of teeny spiders, Equil. That looks like a 'lil jumping spider. I actually don't mind them. There's this kind of big(erm!)one that lives behind my mailbox..black with bright blue spots on her abdomen. She is a bit too big for my comfort level, and she pops out and says hi every once in a while. I leave her alone.

A friend of mine who lives in Au. sent me a pic of a Huntsman spider that was on her ceiling. Leg span..4 inches. GAK! This is not that spider...same species, though.

I'm seriously going to get treatment for my phobia, since I like to hike and stuff.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

I was just yanking your chain with the first photo I found that was a good close up. I'd probably try to move that out of my shower too. I'd think you could take a piece of cardboard and sort of scrape it off into a shoe box or something to move it outside. It's probably not venomous but who wants to have to worry about that dropping down while you're taking a shower and then stepping on it.

Tags
arachnid, arachnids, carolina, egg sac, identification, identify, photo, spider, spider id, spider identification, spider photo, spiderlets, spiders, wolf, wolf spider, wolf spider photo