Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Bug Us (help identifying bugs) (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/bug-us-help-identifying-bugs/)
-   -   Who is this little guy (or gal)? (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/bug-us-help-identifying-bugs/13062-who-little-guy-gal.html)

Rebek56 06-20-2016 05:52 PM

Who is this little guy (or gal)?
 
5 Attachment(s)
Found enjoying itself on purple coneflower and rudbeckia this morning--greener than any bee I have ever seen. Is this a bee mimic of some kind?

dapjwy 06-20-2016 06:05 PM

Not sure--not my expertise at all...but it is a beauty. :)

Looks pretty much like this one: Green, Yellow, and Black Small Bee? - Agapostemon - BugGuide.Net

Gloria 06-21-2016 12:40 AM

You got it Dap Agapostemon virescens.
metallic green bee - Agapostemon virescens - BugGuide.Net

Gloria 06-21-2016 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebek56 (Post 156420)
Found enjoying itself on purple coneflower and rudbeckia this morning--greener than any bee I have ever seen. Is this a bee mimic of some kind?

No it is a solitary native bee. A ground nester.

Commonly called a sweat bee The Sweat Bee (Agapostemon virescens) is a North American bee with metallic green head and abdomen. Females have a black abdomen with pale whitish bands, but sometimes the abdomen is all black. Males have a dark abdomen with bright yellow bands.

Rebek56 06-21-2016 06:07 AM

I had never seen one before--gorgeous little critter.

dapjwy 06-21-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloria (Post 156436)
You got it Dap Agapostemon virescens.
metallic green bee - Agapostemon virescens - BugGuide.Net

Cool! :)

Image searches work wonders. :)

linrose 06-21-2016 11:10 AM

We have lots of them, they really like the oak-leaf hydrangea right now where dozens will feed on one bloom. They can be a bit annoying as they are attracted to the salt on your skin and may pinch or sting when shooing them off. It's not very painful, just an annoyance. They are such important pollinators it's easy to tolerate them. They will nest on any open soil.

dapjwy 06-21-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linrose (Post 156445)
We have lots of them, they really like the oak-leaf hydrangea right now where dozens will feed on one bloom. They can be a bit annoying as they are attracted to the salt on your skin and may pinch or sting when shooing them off. It's not very painful, just an annoyance. They are such important pollinators it's easy to tolerate them. They will nest on any open soil.

I remember, as a kid, being stung by what we called sweat bees. Now, all of these years later, I welcome them--and seem not to have noticed them stinging me as an adult. Interesting.

I'm happy to have them. :) (Although, I've yet to notice them this year.)

EllenW 06-23-2016 10:33 AM

They are really pretty

turttle 06-25-2016 02:50 PM

I have them in my garden, but have never noticed the stinging or biting. There are so many kinds of native bees that you never see unless you really look closely.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2