Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #31
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
If the cupboard gets bare, katjh, plantain is edible and highly nutritious!!!
I've heard that it is, Jack In fact, I have a small collection of books on foraging. I'm just too darned "skeeeered" to actually DO it. I'll probably poison myself like Chris McCandless did in Alaska ("Into the Wild").
Old 07-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #32
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
I've been pulling plantain from my front yard beds as well. Not too hard to do and not too many of them these days. Progress!

I honestly don't remember where the primrose came from originally. It's been a few years since I smothered that area. I don't think it's coming back in that area, though. It's very full of very tall plants these days. I'll find a plant or two to purchase this fall and wait patiently for it to spread. Heck, I'm still young (at heart!), I can wait awhile
Congrats on your progress. I dont expect them to be a problem as my natives become established and shade them out, still, I'm trying to catch any that I can in the small sections I've planted. Those in the mowed areas do seem to be coming back in full force this year.

I'm glad you have a plan for adding back the primrose. I didn't realize it had been so long since you'd smothered the area.

Stay young at heart. . I know I plan too.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:25 PM   #33

Quote:
I hope it becomes all that you imagine....and more
Thank you for that wonderful sentiment.

I hope so too.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #34
Heron

Quote:
I've heard that it is, Jack In fact, I have a small collection of books on foraging. I'm just too darned "skeeeered" to actually DO it. I'll probably poison myself like Chris McCandless did in Alaska ("Into the Wild").
One bit of advice about trying plants in the wild.

Ask yourself if someone was to tell you that this isn't what you think it is, could you prove them wrong? This is a check to see if you are properly identifying the plant. If you are not sure, just don't eat it .

Seeing identifing features, or things that look odd, and then look them up later. When looking them up, they may refer to things that look similar, that might be dangerous.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #35

Default Is there a *botonist* and an entomoligist in the house?

I was wondering if anyone recognized this insect...and knows anything about it.

Is There an Entomologist in the House?-20150811_114940-0-.jpg

Also, is this a native wild lettuce or an alien? (Or am I wrong entirely in thinking it is a lettuce?)
Old 08-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #36
Heron

Red Milkweed Beetle - Tetraopes tetraophthalmus I think?

And thats a lettuce but my neck can only go so far. Would need more leaf detail maybe to ID it. The color of the flower and any spines on the leaves, and stem would be the identifing features.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
Red Milkweed Beetle - Tetraopes tetraophthalmus I think?

And thats a lettuce but my neck can only go so far. Would need more leaf detail maybe to ID it. The color of the flower and any spines on the leaves, and stem would be the identifing features.
I'll try to get more pictures tomorrow.

Funny, the bug was still there later on making me thi k it has some connection to the plant.

It didn't look like the kind of milkweed bug I am familiar with. Perhaps another kind...or something else entirely?
Old 08-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #38
Heron

Red Milkweed Beetle is different then the Large Milkweed Bug (Oncopeltus fasciatus), which you might of seen more of.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Red Milkweed Beetle is different then the Large Milkweed Bug (Oncopeltus fasciatus), which you might of seen more of.
Thanks.

I probably should not be reading responses tonight; I don't have the energy to search anything out. I'm trying to unwind before heading for bed...and WG seems to be a great place to unwind.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I'll try to get more pictures tomorrow.
Flowers: pale blue

More details:

Is There an Entomologist in the House?-20150813_104703-ps.jpg

Is There an Entomologist in the House?-20150813_104809-ps.jpg

Is There an Entomologist in the House?-20150813_104735-ps.jpg

Thanks in advance, rockerBOO!

As for the bug...spot on--I was thinking of another milkweed bug.

...and, update, the bug is still there--appears dead.

Tags
entomologist, house