Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Bug Us (help identifying bugs) (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/bug-us-help-identifying-bugs/)
-   -   decorator insect on bark (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/bug-us-help-identifying-bugs/11150-decorator-insect-bark.html)

turttle 12-04-2012 11:07 PM

decorator insect on bark
 
2 Attachment(s)
Okay. I have decorator caterpillars and I have seen decorator crabs, but these guys take the cake. I swear they have legs and will crawl on my hand, but I can't see any real detail under all of the moss. Suunto, any ideas on what kind of insect they could be under all the moss/lichen they are covered in? There were three of them on the sap leak of my chestnut oak, on a warm day a few days ago (Dec). Size is a little under a centimeter.

Equilibrium 12-05-2012 12:24 AM

Could you maybe add more photos that could be clicked on and made a little bit bigger if you have them?

Sage 12-05-2012 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I sent this one in from Florida last year, I know suunto ID'd it
Attachment 34188

We could have a thread for decorator bugs!

turttle 12-05-2012 12:44 PM

sage, yours looks like the same kind as mine. I like the idea of a thread for decorator bugs. Are there enough different kinds for a thread? I know caddis fly larva decorate themselves.

'Lib, unfortunately, those two are the best I got. The critters fell into the leaf litter when I tried to get my camera closer for a good macro. They looked like little moss balls - other than legs, I couldn't see any insect parts at all!

suunto 12-05-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turttle (Post 124902)
Okay. I have decorator caterpillars and I have seen decorator crabs, but these guys take the cake. I swear they have legs and will crawl on my hand, but I can't see any real detail under all of the moss. Suunto, any ideas on what kind of insect they could be under all the moss/lichen they are covered in? There were three of them on the sap leak of my chestnut oak, on a warm day a few days ago (Dec). Size is a little under a centimeter.

If these are the same as what Sage had earlier, they would be larvae of lacewings (Neuroptera: Chrysopidae and Hemerobiidae) known as 'trash bugs' - see Green Lacewing larva - With adorned debris | Flickr - Photo Sharing! for an example.

turttle 12-05-2012 01:23 PM

Thanks, suunto! I don't know what they are eating, this late in the season, but that looks like what they are. It says they over winter as pupae, which makes sense. I am glad I have them - voracious aphid predators. Yay!

Sage 12-05-2012 05:57 PM

I found mine on the railing along a boardwalk trail in south Florida. Wondering, if you see one or two, shouldn't there be many more not to far away?

suunto 12-06-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage (Post 124939)
Wondering, if you see one or two, shouldn't there be many more not to far away?

I would think that this would depend somewhat on prey density - many predatory insects such these tend to be non-discriminatory in meal selection, and if there is a scarcity of prey, may dine on each other...

turttle 12-06-2012 08:51 AM

Kind of like baby mantises? Or baby toads? I know toads do, since I had a bunch in a tank once, raised from tadpoles and ended up with a few very large happy ones from a bunch of tiny ones. There are advantages to being the first to emerge!

Suunto, are there enough decorator insects to be worth starting a thread about them?

suunto 12-07-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turttle (Post 124960)
Suunto, are there enough decorator insects to be worth starting a thread about them?

Good question, Turttle - I must admit that this is a subject that I have not researched thoroughly. Perhaps if you included those that naturally are cryptically configured?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2