Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I think I will start one, but not until after the holidays when I have the mental energy to dig out my decorator caterpillar photos, and maybe my multi-colored tobacco bud worms, and I will need to consider what else might qualify. It needs some thought. Caddis fly larva are cool, and would qualify, but I am not sure the photos I have of them are digital, it has been years since I took them.

Cocoons would probably qualify, they are often designed using natural items to help in their camouflage.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Great idea, turttle! A thread for those really special bugs!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

How about decorator UNDER a beach finding.
decorator insect on bark-dscf7504.jpg
What do you think created the network? Worms?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Very cool find, Hava. Tell me more about it. What is the consistency of the black part - is it stone? rubbery? man-made or natural, or can you tell? The only rings I know that you find on the beach that are natural are moon snail egg cases and they don't look like that. Where did you find it?

The etched patterns look like they could be from worms, but if it is a rock I would wonder about some kind of chemical process too. Is there a thread somewhere for odd things you find on the beach?

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

To the right is a part of a log I had flipped over. To the left, Its impression.
Living in logging country, we get a lot of sawed off ends washing up on the shore....Especially at ice out!

Way back during the lumber days, after the trees were cut down, they whacked the ends of their harvest with a heavy metal mallet that bore their signature and rolled them into the river to float down to the awaiting mills. The marks told them who to pay for the harvest. Scoundrels and cheaters often trimmed just a hair off the end of the logs to re-brand them with one of their own markings for payment.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bark, decorator, insect