Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Default fly vs wasp

This guy was hanging out on my climbing asters today, along with a whole slew of friends. I thought as first he was a wasp, but looking at the photos, I think he is a hover fly. I can't find a match for him on bugguide in either category.
fly vs wasp-unidentified-insect-2-wasp-vs-hoverfly-climbing-aster-nov-23-web.jpg fly vs wasp-unidentified-insect-vasp-vs-hover-fly-climbing-aster-nov-23-web.jpg
fly vs wasp-unknown-insect-3-wasp-vs-hoverfly-climbing-aster-nov-23-web.jpg

And as long as we are thinking about flies, here are two more that were hanging out their as well. All I usually get on fly id's are "yup, it's a fly", (well, maybe a little better than that, but I have no expectation of a species identification here!)
fly vs wasp-fly-id-climbing-aster-nv-23-web.jpg fly vs wasp-fly-climbing-aster-drinking-web.jpg

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I guess I'm no help except to say "Yep, it's a fly" in regards to the last two pics. Lets wait for suunto.

It is nice to see asters still blooming. Mine are long since done except two stragglers that bloomed very late, but weren't looking too good last time I spotted them.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #3

I am really happy to have blooms this late. The climbing asters/ Ampelaster carolinianus didn't even start blooming until the first week of November here. I don't know how far north they are native, but I would highly recommend planting them for very late season blooms for your pollinators. Of course late season is later in NC than in Pennsylvania, no matter what plant it is!

Old 11-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I am really happy to have blooms this late. The climbing asters/ Ampelaster carolinianus didn't even start blooming until the first week of November here. I don't know how far north they are native, but I would highly recommend planting them for very late season blooms for your pollinators. Of course late season is later in NC than in Pennsylvania, no matter what plant it is!
Thanks for the suggestion. I just looked it up (isn't it great having all of this information at our fingertips?), and unfortunately it doesn't seem to range very far north at all. From the map I saw it is clearly a southern species. Thanks anyway. ...Like you said, late season in PA is pretty different than in NC...so, I'll just be happy finding a variety of very late bloomers native to my area. Gentian springs to mind--at least I think it is a let bloomer...I've not much experience with it.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
This guy was hanging out on my climbing asters today, along with a whole slew of friends. I thought as first he was a wasp, but looking at the photos, I think he is a hover fly. I can't find a match for him on bugguide in either category.
Attachment 34058 Attachment 34059
Attachment 34060
This looks like Spilomyia longicornis - see Spilomyia longicornis photo - Tom Murray photos at pbase.com

And as long as we are thinking about flies, here are two more that were hanging out their as well. All I usually get on fly id's are "yup, it's a fly", (well, maybe a little better than that, but I have no expectation of a species identification here!)
Attachment 34061 Attachment 34062
I cannot see enough detail to be confident of an i.d. - about all that I can say is that it is a muscoid fly, perhaps a sarcophagid...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #6

Suunto, which one? The two flies are not the same individual, although I would easily believe they are both muscled flies. I just liked the look on its face of the one drinking - yes, I know it isn't really an expression of enjoyment, but doesn't it look like a kid slurping a milkshake?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Suunto, which one? The two flies are not the same individual, although I would easily believe they are both muscled flies. I just liked the look on its face of the one drinking - yes, I know it isn't really an expression of enjoyment, but doesn't it look like a kid slurping a milkshake?
My statement holds for both of the last two images. These flies can be challenging to identify by a non-expert, and I most definitely am not an expert on this group!

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fly, wasp