Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

spider3 Decent sized spider.... provided hours of fun!!!

Sooo.... whaddya do when there's no skeeters to speak of and you've got these really nice rocking chairs to sit in on a really nice porch surrounded by good people>>>>? You look up and watch what's going on overhead and when you want to spice things up a bit.... you toss bugs in their webs so you can listen to Hedgerowe let out gasps under her breath!!! I dunno what she is but.... she was very photogenic!!!! I took some photos of her in pitch black with a flash that look like they turned out too. It'll be a while before I get to those but maybe somebody can tell me what she is from these photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Decent sized spider.... provided hours of fun!!!-img_0459.jpg   Decent sized spider.... provided hours of fun!!!-img_0466.jpg  
Old 10-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Sooo.... whaddya do when there's no skeeters to speak of and you've got these really nice rocking chairs to sit in on a really nice porch surrounded by good people>>>>? You look up and watch what's going on overhead and when you want to spice things up a bit.... you toss bugs in their webs so you can listen to Hedgerowe let out gasps under her breath!!! I dunno what she is but.... she was very photogenic!!!! I took some photos of her in pitch black with a flash that look like they turned out too. It'll be a while before I get to those but maybe somebody can tell me what she is from these photos.
Could be Neoscona crucifer - like many other orb weavers, this species shows a lot of individual variation in color patterns - see Species Neoscona crucifera - BugGuide.Net

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Cool!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! Here's 2 more photos I took with flash that turned out and 1 of em is of her underside.

adding something... http://bugguide.net/node/view/709177, whatdoyathink?
Attached Thumbnails
Decent sized spider.... provided hours of fun!!!-img_0441.jpg   Decent sized spider.... provided hours of fun!!!-img_0452.jpg  

Last edited by Equilibrium; 10-05-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: adding something
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Pope

Excellent shots, Lib. I love the "face" on its belly.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Heron

I love your pics of spiders. Speaking of spiders, we have a very spider friendly house. When my 4 year old was at her friend's house and saw the mom kill a spider, she was upset and asked, "why didn't you just let it go outside?" The mom told me this afterwards.... because she actually felt very bad about it!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

H> I was really happy with those last 2!!! See.... you shoulda never gone to bed early!!!
--
BeeW> I took about 100 photos of their spiders. I had to waste all but about 6 or 7 and I've posted the 4 that I thought were the best of what I didn't delete. Here's another 1 of their spiders hanging from their porch ceiling that their son spotted for me when it was just me and him sitting on the porch late at night after they'd gone to bed.... I didn't pitch that meal into its web.... that tasty tidbit flew in on its own. I did toss some earwig treats that stuck into some of the other webs though. Shhhh.... don't tell your kids or if you do make sure they know I was selective and only pitched pillbugs that didn't stick in their webs and earwigs!!! If we can eat invasives.... I sorta figured the spiders should eat some too!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Decent sized spider.... provided hours of fun!!!-img_0451.jpg  

Tags
decent, fun, hours, provided, sized, spider