Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Is this some sort of a Carabid ground beetle?

I found this little guy in my basement. He was the only 1 I could find. He's a little dusty and dirty but I'm hoping someone knows what he is so I can try to figure out how he ended up in my basement.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this some sort of a Carabid ground beetle?-img_0329.jpg   Is this some sort of a Carabid ground beetle?-img_0330.jpg   Is this some sort of a Carabid ground beetle?-img_0331.jpg  
Old 09-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

It is indeed a ground beetle (Coleoptera: Carabidae). With very few exceptions, they are general predators on other small arthropods and other invertebrates.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Good.... I'm on the right track. I thought he might be a beneficial. I took some better photos of him, I’ll see if I can figure out which species he is and run it by you.
--
We’ve had snakes in our sump pump pit…. nothing recent though and they only came up the drain pipe to dine on frogs that ended up in the sump pump pit. I don’t think it coulda come in that way. I do open my windows to my window wells a lot. I refill the pie tins in them with water and remove frogs and salamanders so that had to be how he came in…. I just can’t think of any other way in. I put him outside near my raised veggie beds.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

I think I figured it out, Harpalus pensylvanicus. I'm really glad I let it go where I did. I did some poking around on it and found out it's a big time beneficial, Ground and Tiger Beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae) — Entomology — Penn State University, "Pests consumed: Weeds: seeds of green bristle grass; lambsquarters; redroot amaranth (Kromp 1999); redroot pigweed; giant foxtail; velvetleaf; Japanese bristle grass; broomcorn millet; hairy cupgrass. Arthropods: cucumber beetles (A); aphids; black cutworm (L); alfalfa butterfly (L); codling moth; zebra caterpillar; European corn borer (L); common stalk borer; green clover worm (L and P); armyworm (L)." Here's hoping he goes out and finds the love of his life.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this some sort of a Carabid ground beetle?-img_0347.jpg   Is this some sort of a Carabid ground beetle?-img_0351.jpg   Is this some sort of a Carabid ground beetle?-img_0353.jpg   Is this some sort of a Carabid ground beetle?-img_0356.jpg   Is this some sort of a Carabid ground beetle?-img_0361.jpg  

Old 09-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
The Bug Whisperer

Getting the specific identity of this beetle may be difficult, given the huge number of species in this family and the fact that so many of them are roughly similar in overall appearance. That aside, I am about 99.9 percent certain that it is not Harpalus pensylvanicus...

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 10-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Bummer.... I thought I might have it!!! Ok.... what does your gut tell you it is?
Old 10-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #7
The Bug Whisperer

If I had to guess, I'd say it comes close to species in the genus Dicaelus - see A0618 Dicaelus dilatatus (17mm) Caribidae (Notch-mouthed Ground Beetle) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! for an example.

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

I'll take your guess on this. It does look a lot closer than Harpalus pensylvanicus now that I'm looking at the original photos I posted!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Tags
beetle, carabid, ground, sort