Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods > Bug Us (help identifying bugs)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Default wasp or fly?

This very large, black insect was flying around, more like a fly than a wasp (I was worried it was a horsefly of some sort and would bite me while I was out with it.) I kept seeing flashes of orange on the body, though, and caught a partial photo of that part of its body. Suunto, can you tell me what it is?
Attached Thumbnails
wasp or fly?-black-insect-id-1.jpg   wasp or fly?-black-insect-id-2.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
This very large, black insect was flying around, more like a fly than a wasp (I was worried it was a horsefly of some sort and would bite me while I was out with it.) I kept seeing flashes of orange on the body, though, and caught a partial photo of that part of its body. Suunto, can you tell me what it is?

"Tarantula Hawk" or something related to it? This sure looks a lot like that kind of large wasp we have down here, very impressive whatever it is.
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Its a mydas fly (Diptera: Mydidae) - see Arthropod Museum, Dept. of Entomology, University of Arkansas for an image and more information.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Thanks, suunto! Larva in decaying stumps and logs. I have lots of those. Larva eat scarab beetle larva - maybe they will keep down my Japanese beetles, except those are mostly in lawns. I have gorgeous Green June beetles right now...

I am glad to know they don't bite people. There are plenty of other critters here who do.

Have fun caving!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Its a mydas fly (Diptera: Mydidae) - see Arthropod Museum, Dept. of Entomology, University of Arkansas for an image and more information.
I remembered that I saw one of these in my flower bed a year ago and couldn't identify it. Glad to know what it is!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, bug id, bugs, diptera, diptera mydidae, flies, fly, flying insects, id bugs, id insects, identification, identify, insect, insect id, insects, mydas, mydas fly, mydidae, wasp